The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible to be reminded to start a task? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'm new(ish) to Omnifocus, having recently switched over from Things (due almost entirely to its glacial pace of feature implementation).

One of the features I used in Things was the ability to have an action move to the 'Today' section, despite not being due for another e.g. 3 days. In effect, a start date.

Omnifocus doesn't have a simple 'Today' view, and I was wondering whether:

a) There is a way to have it simply tell me to start certain actions today

and

b) I can have reminders pop-up for start dates, much like those which appear for due items (on both iPhone and Mac)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome aboard, adnium - glad to have you along for the ride!

OmniFocus integrates with a free piece of software called Growl to present pop-up alerts. A task becoming available is one of the events it can notify you about.

Install that, and you'll have the pop-up notifications. Once the start date for a task moves into the past, the Growl notification appears. (Open the Growl Preference pane, switch to the Applications tab, and double-click OmniFocus in the list that appears if you want more control over the alerts.)

Re: a today list - I helped a previous switcher use OmniFocus' Perspective feature to set up a list similar their Today list. Here's a link to that thread in case it helps you, as well.

Macsparky.com shows a perspective that makes a Today list. I have it on my Mac, iPhone, & iPad. It works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgn123 View Post
Macsparky.com shows a perspective that makes a Today list. I have it on my Mac, iPhone, & iPad. It works great.
Nice catch - thanks to MacSparky for the article and to you for the heads-up. Here's a link to the article in question.