The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BE TA! BE TA! BETA..... backup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Ken and Omni, Its hightime I emptied all my stuff into my GTD system again to start 'acfreash' and keep on top of it, but Im hanging on for OmniFocus because I feel it will be alot of work to repeat the process.

This made me think of the following questions:

Will it be possible to import GTD data from other apps (KGTD, Actiontastic, etc)?

Will there be some form of backup mechanism for the Beta (Perhaps a way of dumping the data to an OO file to be preserved incase of crash and corruption during early beta?

They have said that 1.0 will include a kGTD import feature.

I assume you can backup the file like any file with any of the many backup programs or just put it in your iDisk.

BZ

I can appreciate the time it takes to create and develop a perfect product but there are times when it's important to just get it on the street.

Omnifocus - is a wonderful concept and a welcome if not crucial development in the world of GTD applications.

ThinkingRock - was "the leader" because it stuck to the GTD paradigm and was multi-platform but it seems to have fallen back a bit because of the slow development cycle. http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/

iGTD - attracted and continues to attract more attention and is building a sizeable user base because of the developer's response to user input and the speed of development. http://bargiel.home.pl/iGTD/14beta/index.html

Actiontastic - has taken a minimalist approach that some people like but is also very slow in its development cycle possibly complicated by its intention to link to a web site. (last post 2007/03/15) http://www.kaboomerang.com/blog/category/actiontastic/

So where are "we" poor GTD afficionados today in our "quest" for the perfect GTD application?

It seems most serious GTD people are eager to give Omnifocus a shot when it arrives but are in the mean time are using iGTD to get results unless we've a prior committment to Kinkless. http://wiki.43folders.com/index.php/Kinkless_FAQs

The new GTD adopters I come into contact with daily - a group of nearly 100 - are growing more and more frustrated with the wait.

Ueila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueila
I can appreciate the time it takes to create and develop a perfect product but there are times when it's important to just get it on the street. ...
The new GTD adopters I come into contact with daily - a group of nearly 100 - are growing more and more frustrated with the wait.

Ueila
If we have to wait a a little longer to ensure that OF solidly performs as shown, I for one will be patient. OF should streamline our workflow a bit, but it won't make any of us GTD-proficient. Most of us have been using one software tool or another and will continue to do so until OF comes out. I too am enthusiastic re: OF, but I'll try to practice a little patience until it's ready and work my existing system in the meantime.

-jr

I have been using kGTD for almost a year now, but it is creaking under the weight of the number of projects I have going, and without some more flexible filtering/smart folders it's just not good enough any more.

OF seems to take a lot longer than I expected, so I started to move stuff to TR2. Despite the fact that they only have 1 developer, they managed to deliver something vastly superior to iGTD and still better than what I've seen from OF. The only drawbacks are its lack of QS support and the heavy UI.

Omni better get their act together soon, if they want to justify a license fee...

I guess I would be more patient if this hadn't started last year and OmniDudes hadn't said there would be a beta by the end of April.

Just get something out the door, no matter how rough. If Ethan has been using it for months as his production task organizer, I am sure it will do fine for most of us.

Hell, charge for the beta (money goes towards final or upgrade) I don't care.

BZ

I honestly don't see the point in OmniGroup releasing what is presumably alpha software as a beta - what use is a rushed release of a GTD app if all it does is prevent you from GTD because it is too buggy to use reliably?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I honestly don't see the point in OmniGroup releasing what is presumably alpha software as a beta - what use is a rushed release of a GTD app if all it does is prevent you from GTD because it is too buggy to use reliably?
If someone has been using it for months and they have been developing it for months, I can't imagine it getting in my way too much.

Also, kGTD isn't exactly polished.

BZ

I'm torn.

Take your time, but release it tomorrow, please.....

Peter

I suspect that Ethan has been testing it for months and that is not the same as using it for that period of time.