The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

UI Inconsistency - unchecking Active contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was showing my husband Omnifocus this morning, and he wanted to know how to make a context inactive. I right-clicked on the context, unchecked "active", and was confused by the little X icon that appeared. I looked in the inspector then, only to find out that unchecking "active" means I dropped the context.

The opposite of "active" is "inactive" - shouldn't unchecking "active" mean I'm inactivating the context, not dropping it? The current way (which I had to search for on the forums) of making a context inactive by telling it not to accept any next actions is really confusing.

There doesn't seem to be an "inactive" category. Certainly the column menu (or whatever you call them) in context mode, above the left panel, only gives "active", "available", and "all" as choices:
Active = a context that has things to do and is not "dropped".
Available = a context that has or doesn't have things to do and is not "dropped"
All = all

Yes, it is confusing that the meaning of the "active" choice when right clicking on a context does not correspond with that of the "active contexts" column heading. In this case NOT "active" is "dropped".

And if I got that wrong, then we really do have a poor UI.

I sent this as feedback a couple of weeks ago

This should be cleaner in the latest build.