The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forecast View (from iPad) for Mac version. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a sort-of forecast saved as a perspective using start dates and flags.

Basically, I show remaining contexts with the following;

Grouping: Start
Sorting: Start
Availability Filter: Remaining
Status Filter: Flagged

I flag all items with a future start date and call this perspective 'Coming Up'. When tasks appear as available in my Today perspective, I either do them, remove the flag, or reschedule the start date to when I think I can carry out the task.

I haven't been doing this for long but it seems to work.

For the record, I think this perspective looks & works better on the iPad than the Forecast view (the Forecast looks horrendous when there is a task that starts, and is due, on the same day).

The downside is that you have to use flags to achieve it.

Last edited by Stephen Brown; 2012-05-24 at 10:00 AM..

i strongly request forecast view on mac OF. i go to my iphone more than my mac when i want to see what's on today.

the ability to choose between start/due dates would be great, as would the "today" option, as used in Things...

this would free up flags for other uses - if a flag means today, it can only mean today. a dedicated "today" option would be great.

+1 for forecast view on OF for Mac. I pretty much only use the Mac version when I have to add a new project and therefore have to type a lot. I LOVE the forecast view on my iPhone, particularly because I can scroll down and see my Google Calendar events at a glance.

+1 for forecast view on OF for Mac. Integration of my calendar with OF is fabulous on the iPad. I'd like to see that when I sit down with OF on my Mac in the morning. Thanks for the fine products.

+1 for me. This request seems to have been on this thread for a very long time. Can we please get this functionality added? it would really help.

I am relatively new to Omni software but have the utmost respect for the software that I have seen. That being said, the lack of Forecast view on the Mac version is puzzling and one of the biggest disappointments I have seen from this company.

To explain:
1) The group has the code to add Forecast ready to go (because it is available for iphone/ipad). This thread has been going for 2 years - why hasn't Omni been responsive to popular demand when they have the code already?
2) After having paid for the Mac and iphone versions of this software, it is stunning how deficient the Mac version is compared to the iphone version. WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER PAYING FOR THE DESKTOP VERSION WHEN THE IPHONE VERSION IS SO MUCH SUPERIOR?!? The Mac software is >3x as expensive and far less useful. Can I have a refund?????

The iPhone code is not the same as the iPad code is not the same as the Mac code. It's not just a matter of recompiling to bring a new feature to one of the other versions. I'm sure that had they been interested only in bringing a version of Forecast view to the Mac, it would be done by now, but evidently the decision was to include that project in an overall refresh of the Mac's user experience (to address complaints like yours!)

The Mac has by far the most powerful feature set, and it isn't difficult to build a pair of perspectives that give one the moral equivalent of Forecast view. If I had to survive without Forecast view on one of the three platforms, the Mac is the one would choose.

The perspectives I use for this are:

Urgent: context mode, remaining contexts, group by due, sort by due, remaining actions, any status, any duration

Ticklers: context mode, remaining contexts, group by start, sort by due, remaining actions, any status, any duration

I show the project column in both, plus the due column in the Urgent context. Both have only the groups for yesterday, today, tomorrow, next week open (if you check the "restore expansion" box in the perspectives window when saving, the groups will always open the same way when you open the perspective).

To get a refund, see http://www.omnigroup.com/support/store/refunds/ for instructions.

+1 for forecast view on Mac desktop.
whpalmer4, thank you for your insights.
Thanks everybody for the tips!

In the meanwhile, some draft scripts for NerdTool/Geektool listings (by day of week) of what is Due, Calendared, or Starting over the coming seven days.