The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$20 for OF app in iPhone apps store Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omnifocus for the iPhone and OmniFocus for your Mac are two different products.

The iPhone version is distributed through the iTunes App Store, so how would Omni be able to tell whether or not you paid 80 bucks for the original.

All of the Sync features are in 1.1, aside from the ability to take it with you on your iPhone. That version is a free upgrade to paid subscribers.

Seems everyone wants something for nothing, without ever thinking about how the guy who did the hard work puts food on his table too.

Give me a break, nobody is putting a gun to your head. If you can afford an iPhone, a MAC and Omnifocus (I'm sure you put other stuff on your mac too) I am pretty sure you can afford $20 for the separate product on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjan_bagchee@urmc.roches View Post
It is quite despicable that Omni is charging for Omnifocus for iPhone. After paying $80 for an application with ZERO synchronization capabilities, I was expecting that they won’t slap in your customers in the face by charging them for “fixing” the application. Without sync I cannot work the way most every professional does - with a desktop, laptop, and a mobile device (iPhone).
I'm looking at the OmniFocus 1.0 product page and I see no promise whatsoever of any synchronization capabilities. Why did you pay $80 for a product that doesn't provide the features you want but does allow you an extensive free trial period in which to determine this?

The iPhone may be popular, but it's quite a stretch to say that most every professional is using one!

Why should those of us who aren't using an iPhone subsidize those who are? That's essentially what you're asking for when you demand that OmniFocus for iPhone be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhedstrom View Post
I was hoping too. We bought a family pack, and now we each have to pay an extra $20 for the iphone app. Wouldn't be too hard to do, just have a different download in the apps store requiring an OF serial number.
This would require, at the very least, Apple to have some way of validating OmniFocus serial numbers before letting you buy. As far as I know, there's no way to do that.

I understand there's new development, so it's reasonable to charge, but a discount for OF users would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This would require, at the very least, Apple to have some way of validating OmniFocus serial numbers before letting you buy. As far as I know, there's no way to do that.
What would be nice would be to purchase a code from Omni (for $10 or $15) that we could use on the App Store to download OF for iPhone. Something like the codes you get at Starbucks to download specific songs or albums.

I see both sides of it. I'm planning on buying it, but my husband who just wanted a way to see his OF stuff on his iphone (and doesn't care about any of the extra functionality), is not. I do think $20 is a tad high, but honestly I don't see myself buying too many other apps anyways, so I'll pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
But would you really need to do that? Just put in big, bold, very largeletters on the product page that that version of the iphone app is for those who already own OF, and that they're on their own if they bought it and didn't read what version it was for. Don't check for the serial number until they install it on their iphone. Yeah, you'll get some cranky idiots, so I see why you wouldn't want to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvahoos View Post
What would be nice would be to purchase a code from Omni (for $10 or $15) that we could use on the App Store to download OF for iPhone. Something like the codes you get at Starbucks to download specific songs or albums.
Apple likely wouldn't approve that, as it would reduce their share of your application's sales. Apple wants to sell apps through the app store.

I just wanted to point out that the iPhone version @ $20 is only marginally cheaper than what I had paid for the entire app ($25 - early purchase + academic discount).

I still can't decide if its priced me out, considering much of the hyped functionality is not available for my iPod Touch, and some of the hacked solutions that have been put together. Its really $20 to be able to mark something as done.