The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Actions Show when Due Date is Set? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a project that is due tomorrow. It has about 10 children and 25 grandchildren. Since it is due tomorrow and I have "due soon" set to 24 hours, I now have all 35 actions in my context view for this one project. This is a sequential project, and even with the next action filter set, all 35 actions still show in the context view.

How can I set this up so that only one action from the project shows in the context list when the project becomes due? I realize they are all due, but having all the tasks show in the the context view is not helpful when they have to be done in a certain order.

Any workarounds or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by drummergirl; 2010-09-02 at 04:44 AM..

Ok - I just double checked and when the filter is set to next action or available, the others are hidden (my mistake), but the context number still shows 35 as due soon.

My iPhone is doing the same thing. It says I suddenly have 70 tasks due, but only 7 show on my screen. I realize the others are hidden, but is there a purpose for showing the total number of actions due? It's just annoying (and overwhelming) when it's really only 7 "things" for me to do - one just happens to have a ton of child actions in the project (it's more of a checklist for a repeat action than a project).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummergirl View Post

My iPhone is doing the same thing. It says I suddenly have 70 tasks due, but only 7 show on my screen. I realize the others are hidden, but is there a purpose for showing the total number of actions due? It's just annoying (and overwhelming) when it's really only 7 "things" for me to do - one just happens to have a ton of child actions in the project (it's more of a checklist for a repeat action than a project).
How is OmniFocus supposed to know that for this one project, you don't want an accurate count of remaining items?

One approach some take is to not keep the checklist itself in OmniFocus, only a task to run the checklist. On the Mac, this is more convenient, to be sure.

Another approach that might work if you are confident that you will follow through would be to only put a due date on the first item in the checklist, and maybe the last, but not the project itself. That first action has to remind you that you need to do the checklist, and that you need to do it in a view where the actions will be presented in the correct order if it is sequential. The last one would just be a reminder that you need to finish the checklist by the due date.

Personally, I rather enjoy the times when the due soon counter gets to decrease rapidly!

Ah - that did it! I removed the due date from the project and then I set the due date on the first action and then moved all the checklist type tasks to the actions below that task and they all disappeared from context view.

I knew there had to be a simple solution. Thanks. :)