The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1.6.2 "...Projects can now appear in Context mode perspectives" oh no! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Projects appearing in contexts is new behavior that deviates from the desktop version (1.7.*). The usefulness of my perspectives on my iPhone is diminished. What is most upsetting is that the scope of a project's default context is expanded to apply to the project itself, whereas previously it only applied to new actions. If projects must, going forward, appear in contexts, I would like to see a new project attribute, "Completion Context"; and have default context revert to its previous scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrre View Post
Projects appearing in contexts is new behavior that deviates from the desktop version (1.7.*). The usefulness of my perspectives on my iPhone is diminished.
If you configure the perspectives to only display available items (rather than all remaining items), does that help? (Projects won't be available until all their actions have been completed.)

Or do the perspectives in question not work as well unless they show all remaining items? (What kinds of perspectives are they?)

Quote:
What is most upsetting is that the scope of a project's default context is expanded to apply to the project itself, whereas previously it only applied to new actions. If projects must, going forward, appear in contexts, I would like to see a new project attribute, "Completion Context"; and have default context revert to its previous scope.
In the current design, every task (whether a group or an action) has a context. New children within a task inherit their default context from their parent. (This is how inheritance has always behaved: if you had a single action and broke it down into subtasks, the subtasks would start out inheriting the context from their parent.)

But yes, there definitely is a workflow change in this release: groups previously weren't considered actionable themselves (even though you could complete them), so any context you assigned to them previously only affected their children, whereas it now also affects the placement of the group itself in context lists.

I'd like to make the workflow as simple as possible, but not simpler: so please do let me know where this change is causing you friction—we'd like to address that!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-04-21 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot to respond to the question of default contexts

Ken, if you have a "waiting for" context which is on hold the restriction to show only available tasks is a no go.
Thatīs my problem too....
I really dislike the display of projects in context mode (not my kind of understanding context mode)....

If this would be an option like you plan it in the desktop version itīs ok.....

thx

Great!
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I just remembered something very important! The new behavior is configurable.
Thanks. I immediately used the option to disable the new behavior. I don't like to see projects in my contexts view, especially since I have sometimes some "open" projects which no longer contain items but which are not yet completed: maybe I'm still thinking about what to put in them, maybe they are projects which get filled intermittently with actions (like the one I have for audio or video conversions: it's often empty, but sometimes I put there tasks I have to perform. I do not like creating a new project every time I have a file to convert).
Maybe what I'm doing is not 100% GTD certified, I don't know, but it works for me. Like the "cumulative" badge in the iPhone version of OF, which I largely prefer to the strictly hierarchical one in the Mac version...
(http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ghlight=badges)
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
But yes, there definitely is a workflow change in this release: groups previously weren't considered actionable themselves
It seems to me that not only groups, but also projects are considered actionable here, if they are empty and have a default context at least. IMHO, that does not work so well. :confused: