The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inbox persists in Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I believe I understand Perspectives.

That is the kiss of death!

I set up a Perspective for my Weekly Review, including actions to empty inbox, empty sent items, etc, etc.

I have set the Perspectives window to restore all aspects of my view, including focus on my Weekly Review folder. I also set up a keyboard shortcut.

If I start in my default view, hit my keyboard shortcut, the title bar changes to my Perspective, including the focus on "Weekly Review". However, the Inbox shows at the top, then the actions included in my Weekly Review. There is no highlight in the folder pane to show that "Weekly Review" folder is focussed.

If I hit the same keyboard shortcut, I get what I want: the Inbox no longer shows in the task window, the "Weekly Review" folder is highlighted, and I have only the actions from my Weekly Review in the task pane.

If this helps: When I first hit the key combo, the title bar has the following:

Name of Perspective: (Focus: Name of Folder)

After I hit the key combo the second time, the title bar has the following:

Name of Perspective: Name of Folder (Focus: Name of Folder)

Bug, or my bad for missing something?

Last edited by sawxray; 2009-10-02 at 08:39 AM..

Bump

Is this a bug?

Why does the inbox show up even though I have focused on a specific folder?

Why does selecting the perspective a second time make the Inbox disappear?

Thanks!

That definitely sounds like a bug: activating the same perspective twice in a row should certainly give you the same results.

I assume the perspective configured to restore its selection? If so, it's a bug that it doesn't restore the sidebar's selection the first time you press your keyboard shortcut. (If that's not how your perspective is configured, I guess it's a bug that it restores it the second time!)

Does it consistently fail to restore the sidebar selection when going from a particular starting perspective (e.g. the Projects or Contexts perspective)? That would be useful to know.

Thanks!

Just wanted to add that folks are guaranteed a response if they send us email. We browse the forums as we're able, of course, but our ability to do so is variable. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
That definitely sounds like a bug: activating the same perspective twice in a row should certainly give you the same results.

I assume the perspective configured to restore its selection? If so, it's a bug that it doesn't restore the sidebar's selection the first time you press your keyboard shortcut. (If that's not how your perspective is configured, I guess it's a bug that it restores it the second time!)

Does it consistently fail to restore the sidebar selection when going from a particular starting perspective (e.g. the Projects or Contexts perspective)? That would be useful to know.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Yes, the 'Selection' box is checked, as are all other boxes. I tried unchecking each individually, and all, but the problem is reproducible.

I have tried starting from several different perspectives, from the default view, and from both the Projects and the Contexts. Same issue.

If I select the folder where I keep my weekly review actions, the same problem occurs!

Let me know if I should try anything else. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Just wanted to add that folks are guaranteed a response if they send us email. We browse the forums as we're able, of course, but our ability to do so is variable. :-)
Thanks, Brian. I had one issue a month ago that I emailed, and was stunned with both the speed and completeness of several responses. I have never seen customer service like OmniGroup provided!

I thought it better in this case to allow others to read, as I suspect a bug, and others might have experienced the same, which could help with the problem.

Cheers!

A new wrinkle:

My perspective is set with the viewbar closed. This is respected whenever I select the perspective, AS LONG AS I START WITH THE VIEWBAR CLOSED.

If I intentionally open the viewbar, then select the perspective, the new perspective presents with the viewbar open.

I was under the impression that the viewbar status was preserved with the snapshot of the perspective.

According to the email I got from one of the ninjas the other day when complaining about this general issue, there's a bug open for tracking toolbar/viewbar status in perspectives, and if you send in your bug report with Help->Send Feedback, the priority will be elevated a bit. My ticket was #476855, and referencing might help ensure that your vote gets logged in the right place.