The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ofexport - export to text, taskpaper, html, opml Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Many thanks for this it is awesome. However I have a strange problem using this with Hazel.

I am running this code
Code:
#!/bin/bash

FILE=/Users/xxxxx/Dropbox/Public/omnifocus.ics

. /Users/nickwild/.bash_profile
ofexport -a=Work -o "$FILE"
ofexport -a=Work -o ~/Desktop/doc.txt
With - Full Name is <database>

When I first make a change to OF it triggers Hazel and writes the files perfectly, however subsequently it ignores any changes to OF and then will only run if I make changes to the code above in Hazel (e.g. Change the order of writing out the text file and the calendar.

Any thoughts as to what might be happening?
Cheers
Nick

With Robtrew's scripts that I'm using with Geektool, I've always just used the following in Hazel:

Date modified is after date last matched. So the thing only updates after you update the OF cache.

Is the goal of your recipe to say "update after OF updates, but only if you haven't updated in the last 5 minutes?"

Just played around a little bit with the calendar export. It's great that you can put the little tags in individual events to control how due/start dates are determined, but it would also be cool if there were some global level switches that lazy people such as myself could use, so we don't have to tag every entry (e.g., always just use start date for both start and end of calendar entry, or vice versa; or have all OF Tasks imported as all day events starting with start date or due date).

With a little more macro level control, OF events start to take over the calendar, if they have start and due dates that are days apart.

One of the uses I might have for this is getting OF tasks into my calendar on my android phone. Unlike iCal it does have an agenda view, but it's not as easy to show and hide individual calendars in week and day view, so it would be nice to have more control over how the calendar items present themselves.

Thanks Kingsinger. Just tried that, but it seems to make no difference.

Yes that's exactly my goal. I could get it to run from Lingo, but seems very inefficient.

Are you running that code directly in Hazel? Or is that the code of your shell script? My robtrew geektool hazel thing uses a shell script. Don't know if it matters.

Hi, I was running in Hazel. Will try in a shell script. Thanks.

Works perfectly now.

Thanks Kingsinger

Awesome! That helps me understand better how it works too. I don't understand much about the command line. Can you share with me what you put into Hazel to run your shell script?

That would help me.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
Just played around a little bit with the calendar export. It's great that you can put the little tags in individual events to control how due/start dates are determined, but it would also be cool if there were some global level switches that lazy people such as myself could use, so we don't have to tag every entry (e.g., always just use start date for both start and end of calendar entry, or vice versa; or have all OF Tasks imported as all day events starting with start date or due date).

With a little more macro level control, OF events start to take over the calendar, if they have start and due dates that are days apart.

One of the uses I might have for this is getting OF tasks into my calendar on my android phone. Unlike iCal it does have an agenda view, but it's not as easy to show and hide individual calendars in week and day view, so it would be nice to have more control over how the calendar items present themselves.
I've been wondering about what would make sense here, the magic strings in the notes are a bit of an after-thought.

It wouldn't be hard to add more options to do the same job globally, but it would be nice if it just "did the right thing" on it's own - whatever that is.

I've been using the calendar export quite heavily for a little while now and have a better understanding of what's good/bad about it.

I'll give it some more thought...

That should also read "Without a little macro level control...." FWIW.