The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Version of OmniFocus Web Interface [Old Thread] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
can y’all guess what I'm asking Santa for right about now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post
Could you please give the name of the project and maybe a URL? Can mere mortals download and use it yet? thanks
Sorry, not yet. I caught ill just after I posted. I've only just started poking through the code but fortunately it looks fairly simple. :D

The RubyForge project is located at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/omnifocus-ui/

There are no files to release yet. Hell, I haven't checked the code base into SVN. However, there are certainly a few things to do early on:

- Consider migrating to RubyOSA -- RB-AppScript drives me crazy (sorry, Has).
- Remove the HTML from the controllers. Icky icky!

As for making it usable by "mere mortals", I'm concerned by the exclusion of the user interface for launching the web app from OmniFocus. I can certainly provide instructions for launching it from the command line. Hell, I can probably even write an install script -- but, in the mean time, it would mean that you may have to drop down into the terminal.

Sadly, I'm far more of a Ruby and Rails guy than a Mac programmer. I'll look at that later. Maybe someone else will later be able to help me clean up the installation and launching processes to make them more accessable to the non-coder.

Just got it exposed through a DynamicDNS and working. That will be no simple task for an ordinary Mac user under any circumstances, unfortunately.

I see that viewing Actions by Context works. It sure would be nice to be able to provide some filtering on those contexts though. Personally, I use the hell out of flags. I'll have to look into that soon.

Ken, have you (Omni) considered having OmniFocus optionally create a VPN to a server maintained by Omni? If you did such, folks could access their OmniFocus data through your network. I realize that would potentially be ugly.

Or are you going to try to provide support/instructions to set folks up with Dynamic DNS? Trying to tell people how to set up port forwarding on their cable modems/routers generically would suck....

Evan, we've considered both these angles (storing other folks' data for them, or walking everyone through setting up dynamic DNS), and they're reasons why we're not doing any more work on the web interface. We're hoping the iPhone SDK gives us better options.

Figured as much. And I wish you guys luck! I'd love to have my OF data on my iPhone instead. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging along on the web app. You've guys already made my dreams come true (ok, some of my dreams are exceedingly lame) in having (1) a proper GTD system and (2) one that I can access on my iPhone right now.

But I definitely need to get this puppy playing with HTTPS soon. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Light View Post
- Consider migrating to RubyOSA -- RB-AppScript drives me crazy (sorry, Has).
rb-appscript actually worked, in my experience. RubyOSA had a bunch of holes that I kept running into; I started with RubyOSA and actually switched to rb-appscript and had much more fun.

I'm an end user, not a tech guy, but could an interim solution be done via .mac? iGTD has functionality where it will sync with .Mac, then there’s an iPhone app that allows you to see your tasks via that sync. No two way updating, but at least you can see them.

I realize the SDK will probably provide the direction for the ultimate solution here, but I'd think best case we’re looking at late 2nd quarter 2008 before getting a solid app out. In the meantime, sure would be nice to have SOMETHING that at least allows us to see our tasks.

It’s something I already miss from iGTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
rb-appscript actually worked, in my experience. RubyOSA had a bunch of holes that I kept running into; I started with RubyOSA and actually switched to rb-appscript and had much more fun.
I've experienced some of those wholes too, Tim. For one thing, RubyOSA is dependent upon the scripting definition of Cocoa apps whereas RB-AppScript isn't, evidentally. However, AppScript seemed a little less OO to me than RubyOSA. Not being an AppleScript geek in the least, Has, the AppScript author, explained to me that AppleScript is not all that OO either and that attempting to make it such, i.e., RubyOSA, results in somewhat of an impedance mismatch.

Anyhoo, switching out RB-AppScript is going to rank fairly low on my list.

I hope to have a good chunk of a week of hacking over the holidays. This will be fun. Thanks again, Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
I'm an end user, not a tech guy, but could an interim solution be done via .mac? iGTD has functionality where it will sync with .Mac, then there’s an iPhone app that allows you to see your tasks via that sync. No
I don't know about you but even with an iPhone native client, I expect that I will still have some use for a web client. This may turn out to be a long term project for me.

In any event, .Mac may be an answer. Unfortunately, I can't say with much certainty as I don't have a .Mac account.

If .Mac prevented two-way syncing, that would severely limit functionality. The web app would become little more than a Context Action list reader. That solutions does not sit well with me.