The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Can I sync across computers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here is something useful from that link above:

Quote:
A few more specifics:
Assuming computer A is where your OmniFocus database is now, here's how you'd set it up:
1) Mount the USB thumbdrive on computer A.
2) On computer A, open OmniFocus, then the General tab of the Preferences.
3) In the Database section, click the "Move..." button and browse to somewhere on the USB drive.
4) Quit OmniFocus
5) Rename that OmniFocus.ofocus file that just got created on your USB drive to something else like "OmniFocus-real.ofocus"
6) Repeat steps 1-4 on computer B.
7) Rename the new OmniFocus.ofocus file to something else like "OmniFocus-fake.ofocus"
8) Rename the first OmniFocus.ofocus file from "OmniFocus-real.ofocus" back to "OmniFocus.ofocus".
9) Launch OmniFocus from the Finder or the Dock and make sure that it's looking at the correct database. Then you can safely delete "OmniFocus-fake.ofocus".
10) Now just make sure to quit OmniFocus and eject your USB drive every time you go from one computer to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
Here is something useful from that link above:
Whoa, sorry, that FAQ entry was out of date! You can simply use the (new) "Select a Different Database" button to choose an existing database (from your thumb drive or iDisk or wherever) rather than going through all those crazy steps.

I've updated the FAQ entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Severson View Post
One thing I don't yet know is how this is going to work when I start syncing with iCal.
If those copies of iCal are *also* syncing with each other, I can pretty much guarantee a major data meltdown. As long as each copy of iCal never talks to another iCal, you *might* be okay.

Just make sure you don't synchronize OmniFocus to the same calendar on multiple machines, and you should be fine. (If you want to synchronize to a "Home" calendar on your home machine and a "Work" calendar on your work machine, it's fine if iCal synchronizes those calendars across machines.)

Ken:

When I set up Ominfocus preferences on a given machine, do they stay resident on that machine? If I copy my data file to a second machine, do the preferences travel along or is that second machine's preference setting independently determined?

If the preference settings are machine- independent, that is, allowing me to have one set of preferences on the first machine and a different set on the otehr, then to sync all my various omnifocus contexts to ical, I can just designate one machine to do all the syncing with ical. That would avoid a data meltdown, si?

Under that setup, to keep my icals in sync between machines, I just use .mac. This is the only way you can get Daylite syncing to behave. But I have to say, Omnifocus's interface is VASTLY superior to Daylite's and I'll be switching all my stuff over once I learn it better. Nice job!!!

Quote:
If the preference settings are machine- independent, that is, allowing me to have one set of preferences on the first machine and a different set on the otehr, then to sync all my various omnifocus contexts to ical, I can just designate one machine to do all the syncing with ical. That would avoid a data meltdown, si?
Yes, OmniFocus' preference settings are stored independently of its database, and we store your synchronization settings in preferences rather than in the database for precisely this purpose.

Quote:
You can simply use the (new) "Select a Different Database" button to choose an existing database (from your thumb drive or iDisk or wherever) rather than going through all those crazy steps.
Where do I find this "select a different database" button? - I've had a look around but can't seem to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
Where do I find this "select a different database" button? - I've had a look around but can't seem to find it.
In the menu - Omnifocus:Preferences: General

Randy

Thnaks, yes that was obvious, I'd even looked at that! Duh...

Quote:
That folder is synchronized between multiple computers by using a free program called Foldershare (it's Microsoft stuff but it works well for keeping all kinds of files and folders in sync).
You're better off (if possible) putting your database in some central location where both copies of OmniFocus can see it, then pointing both copies at the application.

Reason being: OmniFocus knows how to tell if another copy of OmniFocus is writing to the database, and it'll say "whoa, there... hold up." However, it doesn't know how to tell that foldershare is synching your file. If OmniFocus writes to a half-synched database, things go kaboom.

Similarly, Foldershare doesn't know how to tell when we're writing to the database, and if foldershare synchs a partially written OmniFocus database to the other machine... things go kaboom.

The system you're using *can* work, but you need to be very very careful to never edit while synching, synch while editing, or edit the app on both machines without synching first. Or be willing to revert to a database backup if things go awry. ;-)

Needless to say, we'd like to improve the user experience here in future versions.