The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspectives and "Active" context filter on iOS versions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm hitting a problem with my perspectives, and wanted to check whether I'm doing something wrong, or if I've stumbled across a bug...

I have context perspectives that are set as follows:

Context filter: Remaining
Grouping: Due
Sorting: Due
Availability: Remaining
Duration: Any

..and the perspective works fine. If I sync to my iPhone or iPad, it behaves exactly the same there.

Now, if I change the context filter to...

Context filter: Active

..the perspective works fine on the Mac (e.g. by now hiding on-hold contexts), but once sync'd to the iPhone or iPad, it does not reflect the "active" filter; i.e. on hold contexts still get displayed in the updated perspective, as if the filter was still set to "remaining".

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

bard.

I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing!

I set up a context like you described on my Mac; when I sync it over to my phone, I don't see actions from on-hold contexts on the list; maybe I haven't got my setup exactly the same as yours, though. If you email the support ninjas, we'll be happy to take a look at this and figure out what's going on...

It's worth making sure that the updated filter is actually the one in play on the iPad. When I do anything that seems not to work properly and there is a sync involved, the first troubleshooting step is usually to add a test action to my Inbox and sync until that new action shows up on all devices involved. Then I know that everyone has gotten fully synced up, which is especially valuable in a case like this where you can't examine all of the state directly due to the lack of a corresponding Perspectives window on the iPad.

Thanks for the responses both of you. I checked that everything was fully sync'd and it was.

So, I did a bit more digging, and what I found was that when I change the context filter to "Active" from "Remaining", the problem occurs, but if I then additionally changed the Availability filter to "Available" from "Remaining", then I get something approaching the desired behaviour, and on the iOS device, the on-hold tasks disappear (although I also obviously lose future tasks not scheduled to start yet, which with my intended configuration (Availability = remaining) I would have been able to see).

It seems that given the overlap that exists between these two fields from the perspective of on-hold items, that they may clash; i.e. maybe the two filters are effectively being OR'd rather than AND'd. However, this seems to work as a workaround for the time being. I'll raise a support call to cover this.

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the "Context Sidebar Filter" has any effect on the iPad. It's the Availability that you want to be changing as that's what filters the action list. On the Mac, the context sidebar filter will limit what's shown in the sidebar which will also end up changing what's showing in the outline view, but there's no "sidebar" for perspectives on the iPad.