The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

From A New User: Likes, Dislikes, and Everything Else Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As soon as I saw the tweet from @omnigroup about beta/nightly versions of both Omniweb and Omnifocus I nearly jumped to my feet. The only reason I still hadn't looked into Omniweb is that I, like many others, thought development had all but ceased on the browser. I'm so glad I was wrong.

The Likes
  • Super fast - I'm really enjoying the speed of the browser. Doesn't make me feel like I'm lagging behind. I know it's just Webkit but I really like using it as compared to Tracemonkey or whatever Opera's engine is.
  • Visual tabs are great! I never knew Omniweb implemented these - absolutely fantastic. I really enjoy viewing them.
  • Shortcuts and Keywords - Thank god, I had to resort to using a couple of hacks through GlimmerBlocker just to emulate this in Safari (wasn't nearly as easy).
  • Saved Workspaces - Very cool, don't know how often I'll use it.
  • Shared Bookmarks - I'll definitely have to look more into this, could be really useful for an iPhone/iPod or using another computer.
  • 1Password Integration - Simply put, I wouldn't use a browser that didn't have 1password and I'm so glad it works exactly as it should!
  • Expandable Text Area
  • Save as Webarchive - useful for LittleSnapper
  • Open Links in Background in Google Reader - HELL YES
  • Did I mention visual tabs are great?

The Dislikes
  • Web Developer - I'm able to right click on an element and inspect it, bringing up the Web Inspect from Webkit. Are there any plans to put this into a menu item for easier accessibility?
  • Marked Pages - I found Next and Previous Marked page but I'm having trouble using them (ie: they're not working). Couldn't find any documentation on the feature either.
  • Specific :: Vimeo - Full screen doesn't work on embeds.
  • Not enough to dislike - Seriously, this is all I can come up with for right now.

Feature Requests
  • Undo Closed Tab - I first looked to see if there was a way to do this through CMD+Z or any other methods, nope. I'd love this feature as I hate not having it sometimes.
  • Merge All Tabs into Window - Safari has this feature and I actually like to use it a lot. Would be a great addition.
  • Save Webpage As.. - When on a webpage that is a .mp4 or .m4v or any other type of file, it'd be nice to save the webpage as said file without having to go back and then righclick that link.

That's all for now. Other than that, I hope that this browser continues to find development at The Omni Group as I really do enjoy using it.

EDIT: Question - is there a way to have a javascript file load instead of a custom style sheet for a certain webpage? I'd greatly appreciate using certain scripts on some webpages.

Last edited by garfield; 2009-08-18 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
The Dislikes
  • Web Developer - I'm able to right click on an element and inspect it, bringing up the Web Inspect from Webkit. Are there any plans to put this into a menu item for easier accessibility?
  • Marked Pages - I found Next and Previous Marked page but I'm having trouble using them (ie: they're not working). Couldn't find any documentation on the feature either.
  • Specific :: Vimeo - Full screen doesn't work on embeds.
  • Not enough to dislike - Seriously, this is all I can come up with for right now.

EDIT: Question - is there a way to have a javascript file load instead of a custom style sheet for a certain webpage? I'd greatly appreciate using certain scripts on some webpages.
Just for clarification, you want the "Inspect Element" item to appear in the menu bar as well as the right-click context menu?

Marked Pages aren't working quite like they have in the past but you should be able to press CMD-K to mark a page, then you can use the arrow keys to get to it.

running javascript on a loading page is something we'd like to offer in the future but it isn't possible right now. You can run javascript from a bookmarklet or via applescript though.

I haven't encountered the Vimeo problem but next time I come across one embedded I'll check it out. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Troy! Thanks for the detailed response. Allow me to clarify some of your questions.

Quote:
Just for clarification, you want the "Inspect Element" item to appear in the menu bar as well as the right-click context menu?
Not "Inspect Element" but a "Web Inspector" menu item would be great as there's no other way to bring it up (that I've found). Also, a corresponding keybinding along with the menu reversing "Close Web Inspector" (which isn't offered in Safari) would be great!

Quote:
running javascript on a loading page is something we'd like to offer in the future but it isn't possible right now. You can run javascript from a bookmarklet or via applescript though.
Javascript from a bookmarklet would be great - the only thing I'd like is to be able to load javascript based on a web address (such that I don't have to click the bookmarklet each time). Instead I'll see if I can open the webpage within the bookmarklet as an alternative.

Otherwise: Is it possible that the separator for bookmarks might not count as keybinding? For instance, a separator placed after 5 bookmarks takes the CMD+5 shorcut while it doesn't do anything at all. The next shortcut will be CMD+6.

Also, the location bar is highlighted twice in the latest nightly build. Slightly annoying.

I'll keep this thread updated with any other suggestions or finds I might have. Otherwise - still loving Omniweb!

Last edited by garfield; 2009-08-20 at 05:37 PM..

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to any bookmark via the Keyboard & Mouse system preference pane. Since each bookmark appears in the Bookmarks menu they work just like any other menu item in this respect. That's not to say that it wouldn't be handy if possible to do within OmniWeb, just that there are options out there!

Also, I was able to make a vimeo video embedded on another page go fullscreen. Do you have an example that isn't working for you?

It was just a small request to change the behavior of how separators affect bookmark shortcuts - which would adapt much easier than having to manually adjust the shortcuts to each bookmark on the bar (but that is useful as well!).

I tried out Vimeo again last night and it worked full screen just fine. The problem I had one time was with an embedded video a couple of nightly builds ago, so maybe it was a problem for that build specifically. I apologize for the false alarm.

Also - is there any news on a "Open Recently Closed Tab" being implemented within Omniweb? It's something that would really help me out.

Quote:
It was just a small request to change the behavior of how separators affect bookmark shortcuts - which would adapt much easier than having to manually adjust the shortcuts to each bookmark on the bar (but that is useful as well!).
My bad, I misinterpreted your previous post. Yeah I actually find this behavior annoying as well.

Quote:
I tried out Vimeo again last night and it worked full screen just fine. The problem I had one time was with an embedded video a couple of nightly builds ago, so maybe it was a problem for that build specifically. I apologize for the false alarm.

Also - is there any news on a "Open Recently Closed Tab" being implemented within Omniweb? It's something that would really help me out.
You're not alone. It's near the top of our features list, we'd very much like to get some sort of undo closed tab into OmniWeb.

I'm getting awful scrolling jumps in the new SneakyPeek of Omniweb (117822) using a Macbook Pro 13". Anyone else have similar issues / know of a solution? It's really uncomfortable browsing with it :(

EDIT: Clearing the cache and restarting Omniweb seemed to help.

Also, right clicking in a Gmail message will not bring up the spelling corrections as it does in Safari - I guess it doesn't come with Webkit. Is this something that Omniweb lacks / plans to implement?

Last edited by garfield; 2009-08-26 at 10:53 AM..

Also - Gmail is able to grab keyboard input right away but Google Reader is not. Is there any way to workaround this?

ALSO: The new build seems to have a regression that any time I click on a link it has a border (highlight) around it.

Last edited by garfield; 2009-09-02 at 08:12 PM..

Quote:
Also - Gmail is able to grab keyboard input right away but Google Reader is not. Is there any way to workaround this?
Not sure what is happening here, I'll file a bug on it and we'll check out the problem.

Quote:
ALSO: The new build seems to have a regression that any time I click on a link it has a border (highlight) around it.
The regression was actually that this WASN'T happening which we fixed just before releasing. There is a preference that controls this behavior in the Display preference pane. Look for "Highlight Links When Clicked" setting.

Thanks! That helps a lot - I personally don't like seeing the box every time I click a link.

Another problem I've found is that the website-specific preferences are domain only - ie a stylesheet for google.com/calendar sets a stylesheet for google.com/reader (and all other domains) as well. Is this intended? Is there any chance of this being moved to address-specific preferences?