The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Custom Header? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to create a custom header when printing an outline? For instance, I'd like my To Do List to automatically have that day's date on top of the page (i.e., "Monday, January 15th" and not the time it was printed) without my having to type it in.

You can custom headers in the professional version which is accessible from File -> Page Setup -> Settings: OmniOuliner Pro -> Headers & Footers tab. Print time is an available option.

Thanks Derek. But if I want the header to be simply today's date ("Wednesday, January 17, 2007") I have to type that in manually, yes? There doesn't seem to be a way to get the date to appear automatically without the time.

Well, the format of it is taken from the system format. If you want to be "Monday, January 15th" You'll need to modify the short date format and the medium time format. You'll also have to relaunch OO if you make changes to the formats.

Interesting. How would I modify those formats?

System Preferences -> International -> Format tab

use the Dates customize button and change the 'Short' format

use the Time customize button and change the 'Medium' time format

Sorry for being so thick, but I still don't see how I can get the short or medium date format to show up automatically in the header. The choices under Page Setup / Omni Outliner Pro / Headers and Footers /Insert include Modification Time and Print Time, but there doesn't seem to be an Insert choice for just the date, in any format.

Am I missing something here?

Well, that's the thing, you have to modify what the Print Time token gives you. So you would need to make the medium time format blank.

Right ... but that's what I don't know how to do. How do I modify the Print Time format so it just shows the date? That doesnt seem to be one of the choices in System Preferences / International. I see how I can modify the Times formats, but there's no way apparent to get the Date in those time formats.

If you're suggesting I just make the Time format blank so the OO Date and Time choice shows just the date, that would work, but that would blank the date from all other apps. I was hoping there was some way to do this just within OO.

Again, sorry for my ignorance - I'm new to OO (and to Apple).

I appreciate the help.

/rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Barre
If you're suggesting I just make the Time format blank so the OO Date and Time choice shows just the date, that would work, but that would blank the date from all other apps. I was hoping there was some way to do this just within OO.
No, there isn't a way to do this just in OO. The tokens can't be modified, only the data it's pulling from. So yes, you would have to leave the time format blank.