The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

[sp7]Links and Tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi again !

Now a good friend of mine found a bug.

If I open a link in my good old macforum http://www.MacTechNews.de
it doesn't open it in a new tab.

and if I press the apple(command) button to. It also opens in new wenidow.

And yes, I did the right prefs.

lg'
Kev

Oh, sorry, I searched, but it seems like I didn't do it carefully enough...

lg'
Kev

It's understandable. The search function in this board doesn't seem to be working very well. It also seems many people are missing the release notes.

I am only here since this week, so I don't know so much in here ^^

lg'
Kev

If I could get rid of tabs, I would. And just have links open in windows, but that isn't a problem, and at least 5.5 sp7 seems better at handling 30 tabs.

Almost the ONLY TIME I would open tabs was by ACCIDENT when trying to click on personal toolbar, waiting for bookmark list to drop down, then navigate to the bookmark I want to open. And instead, the whole folder would open.

(In Firefox, you can move the mouse from bookmark folder to folder without having to hold down or release and click and they drop down smoothly on their own.)

My problem is with links.

Normally, command + click is suppose to open BEHIND the current window.
Links to new sites would open in their own window, usually in front, if I did nothing.
Command + Shift + click should open in front.

Now, even Command + click opens in front most of the time (50%?) but not always. No matter what I do or don't do. Has a mind of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
My problem is with links.

Normally, command + click is suppose to open BEHIND the current window.
Links to new sites would open in their own window, usually in front, if I did nothing.
Command + Shift + click should open in front.

Now, even Command + click opens in front most of the time (50%?) but not always. No matter what I do or don't do. Has a mind of its own.
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...24&postcount=2
;)

Thanks for the links, I did read those, but I didn't think they described the behavior I see, expected, or how 5.1.3 behaved. I don't use tabs, I wish tabs could be turned off, and I find it easier to work w/o.

The fact that some links work one way, and others work differently, is ... surprising. In ALL the pre-5.5 beta/sneakypeek versions, I never saw this behavior (and I downloaded a new version almost daily at one point probably).

I know it gets tiring, but I think "it was already reported" or something - and I did try to RTM and release notes when I downloaded 5.5 (first time yesterday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
The fact that some links work one way, and others work differently, is ... surprising.
One of the "attributes" links can have is called a "target." This can send the link into a new window, a different frame... and the standard one for a new window is target="_blank". What happens (due to a known bug) is, any link with that will open in a new window, no matter what your prefs are or what keys you're holding down.

The reason some links work and some don't is because some have that attribute and some don't.

Hope that helps.