The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Task and subtask shown in Forecast mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry if this was already answered before, but I couldn't find anything related.

I have lots of tasks with subtasks.

When I go into forecast mode on the iPhone, the upper tasks are shown, along with their subtasks. What really matters are the subtasks, because the upper task is a general task, which can't be done if the subtasks are not done.

Is there a way the upper tasks don't show in forecast mode? Am I implementing things wrong?

Example:

Project Payments
– Task "Pay Credit Card"
–– Subtask "Pay credit card online"
–– Subtask "Record payment in iBank"

In Forecast mode, the 3 items show up, even though the real actions are the subtasks. The task "pay credit card" should be checked off as soon as the last subtask is checked, because it is a sequential task. That's why I don't think it should be shown in forecast.

Any suggestions?

The idea behind Forecast view is "show me all the things I promised myself I'd have done today" - even if that action isn't available yet. It's meant to help you plan ahead. More of an "oh yeah, I have to do all these things today" view, instead of a "show me the things I can do right now which are also due today" view.

That said, if a row has a due date of today but the parent rows or project don't, Forecast view will only include the individual row. Instead of putting the due date on the parent row and all the tasks in the group, I'd suggest doing only one or the other, depending on what you want to appear in Forecast view. Does that work for your purposes?

Brian, I didn't test it, but it makes perfect sense. I didn't realize the due dates determined if the task would show in forecast.

That will work for me. Thanks for your help!

:)