The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omnioutliner 4 and 10.9 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ooops did I miss something? The latest builds are 10.9 only? Will the final version also be a Mavericks exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udo Weyers View Post
Ooops did I miss something? The latest builds are 10.9 only? Will the final version also be a Mavericks exclusive?
Yes and yes.

It was mentioned in the update notes a while back.

OK I understand ... but wonder why Omni dropped support for something that seemed to work. I think only supporting the latest OS isn't the best idea. Although ... when OO 4 will be released 10.9 might not be the newest OSX version - sorry I just couldn't resist that one. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udo Weyers View Post
OK I understand ... but wonder why Omni dropped support for something that seemed to work. I think only supporting the latest OS isn't the best idea. Although ... when OO 4 will be released 10.9 might not be the newest OSX version - sorry I just couldn't resist that one. ;-)
It is the best idea, because (I'm afraid I can't quote the source – it is floating about on the forums somewhere) there are certain architectural changes (in terms of coding/the Mac OS environment) which were introduced in Lion, refined in ML and improved in Mavericks.

You'll need Mavericks since it supports the new features. Hence the rationale of OO4 (and OF2) being 10.9 only. Here's the conundrum – less features/less performance/less x, in return for backwards compatibility, or the opposite? The rational decision is the latter.