The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

quick entry start up time too slow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It takes over 6 seconds for me to be able to write the first character of a quick entry since omnifocus is started (automathic synd disabled). How does it take to you? I have a iphone 3g (no jailbreak) with the last firmware. I think its very important in GTD to be able to write quickly inbox stuff: the more slower it takes the more lazy you will be to do it and you will miss GTD. What do you think?

Well, it also takes me 6 seconds from tapping the OF button to first character on a new note, on an iPod Touch with auto-sync on. For comparison, it takes about 4 seconds to launch the Apple Notes app and start a fresh note page (an appropriate comparison, I think, because OF is giving you an independent action, not adding to a previous one), or 3 seconds if I wanted to just add on to the previous note. On the other hand, I can fill in most of the details of that action, including context and project if OF isn't syncing at the same time, and even record an audio note or take/choose a photo (or screen capture), and when I'm done, it's in my database. With some other program, I'll have to come back and process any or all notes into OmniFocus, and that's going to take more than a few seconds per note, and I have to remember to do it in a timely fashion. To me, that's a trade-off where using OF's quick entry button is a net win, but you may find it otherwise.

Ken did spend some time in this latest release cycle working on making quick entry available as early in the start-up process as possible, and during most of the sync process as well. I doubt that he would say that nothing more could be done, but I suspect most of the low-hanging fruit has been picked, and substantial improvements from here might be hard to come by. It would be interesting to hear what sort of start-up times to first characters entered you see with other applications.

On a 32GB 3GS, launch to first character in 2 seconds. I agree that quick capture is vital, but find OF to be as quick as anything else on my phone. There's also a perception piece. It takes me a few seconds to start capturing a note on paper also, but I don't notice that time because I fill it grabbing the pen and paper.

With all that said, faster would be better. Use Help → Send Feedback from the Mac app to get your concern entered in the development database.

Cheers,

Curt

Curt