The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you handle unfinished projects using GTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OF newbie here, so maybe this is an obvious question:

So, I've got a couple projects where all the known actions are complete. However, the project is tied to a date in the future. I don't want to mark the project complete because something might pop up, but I don't want to see everyday on my Today perspective.

So what is the best way to process something like this? My first thought is to just give it a start date closer to the future date to get it out of the way. It isn't really an On Hold/or Someday thing as it is an active project.

Thanks

LL

LL, I'd handle a situation like this in exactly the manner you suggested - set a start date some time off in the future when I wanted to check back on the project and see if anything new needed to be added or worked on.

Sometimes I set a start date and I fill the project with one task that says "Follow up on Project X"

Other times, I'll set the project to "On Hold" and set the Review Date to a distant point in the future (2 weeks, 2 months from now or something else in the future).

When I do my weeky or daily review, this will appear in my Review perspective when today is the Review Date. At that time I can make a few calls and follow ups to see if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBean View Post
So, I've got a couple projects where all the known actions are complete. However, the project is tied to a date in the future. I don't want to mark the project complete because something might pop up, but I don't want to see everyday on my Today perspective.
I put the projects on hold. Someday/maybe is just that, nothing you need to do right now but may need to do something later. When I do a weekly review I always look at all projects that are on hold so if there is something I need to do I can make the project active then and start on the next action.