The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Super quick review. I love it. I think I would rather use this almost as much as the desktop app. Forecast is great, jump to the project (need to drop the dialog to confirm) very well done. No crashes thus far

I agree. After seeing some of the moaning about the UI upon installing it I was surprised how close to perfect it was, and how CAPABLE. Makes the iphone app look handicapped. Couldnt get the bookmarklet to work but otherwise 9.5/10. Inspiring, straight on my favourites on the dock.

oh, and I LOVE the font size. My eyes arent the best so please no smaller!

Maybe I am missing something but it seems incredibly awkward when trying to indent items or add items to a list. And moving items around is no easy task either. Am I missing am easier step? Why is it so hard to make am outline under a project ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
I agree. After seeing some of the moaning about the UI upon installing it I was surprised how close to perfect it was, and how CAPABLE. Makes the iphone app look handicapped. Couldnt get the bookmarklet to work but otherwise 9.5/10. Inspiring, straight on my favourites on the dock.
Regarding the bookmarklet (from another thread): If you had OmniFocus for iPhone installed on your iPad, delete the iPhone version from your iPad, and then reboot your iPad. That will probably fix your bookmarklet issue. It worked for me.

thanks, will give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycspc View Post
Maybe I am missing something but it seems incredibly awkward when trying to indent items or add items to a list. And moving items around is no easy task either. Am I missing am easier step? Why is it so hard to make am outline under a project ?
For adding items, I focus on the project (tap and hold on the project header, then select Focus in the popup menu). Then I use the plus button in the top right corner to add items. Tap and hold an action to get into rearrange mode. That mode was the last thing added during initial development and they didn't have time to add full support for indenting there. So for now, you have to use the Move button to indent the first task under a parent action. Once you have a child, you can drag another item between a parent and child and the dragged item will become a child also.

That's a bit (a lot?) cumbersome. Use Contact Omni in the gear menu to submit your vote for drag-and-drop indenting.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
I agree. After seeing some of the moaning about the UI upon installing it I was surprised how close to perfect it was, and how CAPABLE. Makes the iphone app look handicapped.
In fact, I like the iPad UI (not just the looks, but the workflow) better than the OmniFocus for Mac UI.

Last edited by HiramvdG; 2010-07-30 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Quoted too much

Unfortunately, I don't like it, but maybe I am using it wrongly. It is slow, and most of the time, it displays too much at once. A "Focus" mode like in Appigo's Todo is missing where you can configure a view with the tasks that are due in the next 7 days or so. The forecast mode in Omnifocus is similar, but I would have to go through each day to see the items instead of everything at once ordered by day. This is just not practical for me. You display all projects and the next item while the next item is some project might be due in the next few months and leave out the tasks that might be due tomorrow if there is some other task before it. I rather want to have displayed the next view items that are due at once. And something else - why do you even waste my precious display space with empty project entries where there are no next actions. This is completely useless!

Overall, i'm very impressed with the look and feel of the app.

My only issue is with the handling of notes. While i see that it includes a brief preview of the note on the same line as a task, i also notice that if a task takes more than the single line there's no indication that there's a note attached.

Perhaps a small note icon after the ellipses?