The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok, I was one of those anxiously awaiting OmniFocus for the iPad. I have the Mac and iPhone versions. I use them a lot. I was excited to expand my use to my iPad, since I use it for much of my day-to-day work, and having it for maintaining my projects and tasks makes great sense.

But, the price point was high enough that I haven't bought it, yet. I might, but I'm seriously reconsidering my investment in OmniFocus, and I've very disappointed that there wasn't some kind of a 2 or 3 day introductory period when we could purchase it for a more reasonable investment of $15-$20.

Yes, in the grand scheme of life, $40 isn't a huge investment. However, when added to the $20 for OmniFocus iPhone, and $80 for the Mac, it's a little stratospheric. (Not to mention all of my other OmniGroup products!)

I'm pretty disappointed. It seems like you're milking loyalty. And now I'm very torn.

To each his own. Personally, I would have gladly plunked down $80 for this app. I've been beta testing it for the past month and use the iPad app more than the Mac version now. It's not an exaggeration to say that OF iPad has more than doubled the value of my iPad to me.

Omni charges what they believe their apps are worth to their users. To me, the money I've spent on Omni products over the years has never been a bad investment. My productivity gains completely swamp the cost of the products.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
To each his own. Personally, I would have gladly plunked down $80 for this app. I've been beta testing it for the past month and use the iPad app more than the Mac version now. It's not an exaggeration to say that OF iPad has more than doubled the value of my iPad to me.

Omni charges what they believe their apps are worth to their users. To me, the money I've spent on Omni products over the years has never been a bad investment. My productivity gains completely swamp the cost of the products.
N ffnc, bt f y'v bn bt tstng ths pp fr ver mnth, y hvn't rlly dn vry gd jb (IMH).

Try going to projects view create a dummy action. Then delete the action by swiping the action to the right. The big red delete button covers about 25% of the date in the same table cell. Yeah, it's not breaking the application or anything... It's just sloppy.

If I'm paying 40 bucks for an application in iTunes, I would expect it to be of far superior quality than the bulk of other offerings, which about 95% of them sell in the region of $1 to $4.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: disemvowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
N ffnc, bt f y'v bn bt tstng ths pp fr vr mnth, yu hvn't rlly dn vry gd jb (IMH).

Try going to projects view create a dummy action. Then delete the action by swiping the action to the right. The big red delete button covers about 25% of the date in the same table cell. Yeah, it's not breaking the application or anything... It's just sloppy.
How do you know Curt didn't report that very issue? You might have noticed that there was a fair amount of pressure to ship the app ASAP. They didn't work the bug list to 0 before submitting to the App Store, and certainly didn't work the cosmetic enhancement list to 0!

f y tll s th nm f yr prdct(s), w'll b gld t chck t th xmpl y'v st, myb w cn lrn hw t s sppsd t b dn!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: disemvowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How do you know Curt didn't report that very issue? You might have noticed that there was a fair amount of pressure to ship the app ASAP. They didn't work the bug list to 0 before submitting to the App Store, and certainly didn't work the cosmetic enhancement list to 0!

f y tll s th nm f yr prdct(s), w'll b gld t chck t th xmpl y'v st, myb w cn lrn hw t s sppsd t b dn!
Errrm... OmniFocus for iPhone.

Also... See my edit above.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 10:51 AM..

I'm in the middle of a three year, $9000 training courses...keeping myself organized and feeling in control in regards to just that one aspect of my life is worth more then $40 to me.

Whilst i'll admit i have a few niggles with the ui, personally I've got no problem with the price. Omni focus in its various forms must have saved/made me thousands of pounds over the past couple of years. At my hourly rate it's only about 15 minutes of my time.

The problem with the app store is that people have become used to the idea that anything over $0.99 is somehow 'expensive' and that totally devalues the work put into a major software project. A dedicated GTD app is not a throw-away impulse purchase like the thousands of stupid novelty iFart apps on the store. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of purchases are made by people who know what they want and realize how useful it is..

I too am having problems reconciling the $40 price. The bottom line is that my original workflow was to plan on the Mac version and then execute on the iPhone. When I got my iPad, I started doing a little of that execution on the iPad instead.

And although I don't like using apps designed for the iPhone on my iPad (it's just a waste of screen space and design), it's more than good enough for that simple task. I always assumed that I'd upgrade when the iPad version of OmniFocus came out, but I have a hard time spending $40 when the current system works just fine.

If I didn't have the iPhone version, I don't think I'd have a problem. I do understand Omni's desire to keep their software prices sustainable. But with a working version already, it's hard to justify the price.

Maybe if I could convince myself that I'd do reviews or project management on the iPad if I got the newest version. But the Mac version still seems the best version for planning.

Sigh.

I guess spending on something that you really want will be worth it. I am using this now and I am quite happy with what I got. It's not really milking loyalty but it is the worth of the quality product that you will have. pokie slots

Last edited by abby0880; 2010-09-01 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typo

I will never understand why people think criticism of pricing means that a person doesn't believe producers can charge whatever they want, that they are against capitalism, and aren't "taking responsibility for their financial condition."

Let's not jump to so many conclusions all at once, please.