The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Issues with loading and using Custom CSS Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hullo all...

I'm having trouble with using the Custom CSS feature in OW 5.5; perhaps someone could clue me in on it?

I'm a regular at the Ars Technica forums, and I'd like to use some custom CSS to control the layout of the forums.

When a page or thread on the forums is loaded, it calls the document userContent.css - this is the CSS that affects the actual forum pages. Now, I've got a copy of this document, and I've made the changes I need (just font changes, slight colours for legibility, etc.) and I'd like to apply it.

I can get the Preferences for the page/domain up fine, and I select the userContent.css document as the stylesheet I wish to apply, but it seems to have no effect whatsoever on the page, regardless of if I've reloaded, flushed cache, restarted OW, etc.

I know that the custom CSS works, as I've tested it in IE, and it seems that the only issue is to get OW to see that I'm replacing the stylesheet. In case anyone is wondering, the stylesheet in question is from http://collingrady.com/opentopic/ - the last link, "OpenForum Enhanced"

If anyone could shed some light on matter, I'd greatly appriciate it.

:)

To make a local style sheet override the site's own, the rules in question need to be flagged as !important, as in

Code:
div#subcontent, div#outerslice, div#bloginfo, div#grid { display: none !important }
Put this in a CSS file and hide the ads on engadget.com!

The style sheet can also be named whatever you want, as long as it's selected in the site preferences window.

I use this all the time to hide ads and other annoyances. Actually, OW's implementation is the best. you can make changes to the css file and just "reload" the page to see the results. In FF or Camino, you have to quit the app & re-launch.