The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus vs OmniOutliner Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought that I can use OmniFocus instead of OmniOutliner,
but I'm missing:

* add extra column
* thumbnails of attached files which makes it much more easier scanning thru a large project

so I still have to use both applications :-(

I like the new featurs of OF, the syncing etc.

what I'm missing in OF sync features:

* exclude (desktop-only) projects from sync with iPhone

ekke

Extra (customizable) columns has been discussed here. I think maybe it's coming in 1.5. Have a search.

I happily use both OmniFocus and OmniOutliner. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job. OmniFocus is very focused on task and project management. OmniOutliner is much more flexible. I suspect the extra columns and picture thumbnails will come to OF, but I don't expect all the flexibility of OO to come to OF.

Curt

curt,
same for me - I dont need all the OO flexibility,
but an extra column would be really great for OF -
and the UI would be much more cleaner and intuitive with the thumbnails like used in OO.
over all I like OF much and the integration with iPhone, calendar etc. and sync between macs... and so I'm looking to bring as mch projects as possible to OF
ekke

Actually one of the biggest disappointments of OF is that it does not allow for at least child rows which are not Actions. One could do this in KinklessGTD and it would appear that most people of some point would want to be able to do this. It allows you to store a lot of planning and other information right within the Project or Action which is very useful.

While I am at it, the other problem with OF which I find makes it hard to use at my Task Manager is that it adheres too rigidly to the "Context" concept. I think the value of Context in the GDT system is more and more questionable as more and more tasks are performed on a computer and people become able to work in more and more places. Further, if you spend most of your time working and most of your projects and actions are work related and require a computer, Context is not very important.

This might be a YMMV situation. I spend roughly every waking hour with my computer (slight exaggeration, but not much), and I still find the Context concept extremely useful in organizing my work.