The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Voting for new features Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It doesn't look like uservoice or getsatisfaction let us host our own data, and I'm not interested in storing data that important in someone else's cloud. (Over the last 20 years, we've outlasted too many clouds!)

That said, I would like to understand this request better. What is the need that you were hoping their solutions would solve for you?

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply!

I completely understand wanting to control your own data. (A quick search suggests that VoxPopuli is self-hosted software similar to UserVoice. It's much uglier, alas.)

The reason why I, at least, would like to see the list of feature requests & bug fixes be more transparent is because, frankly, it's really easy to feel like "your vote has been counted!" is just lip service.

But if I can see that yes, my vote was counted but there's only 3 votes for it and the most-requested item has 271 votes, I can see quite plainly that my feature will never be implemented and I will agree that that's fair. Without the transparency, I'm more likely to get disheartened that none of my suggestions are ever implemented.

15 years of user feedback sounds like a millstone around your neck in this regard. If you started from scratch with a fresh user voting/feedback system I'm sure it would be populated in short order for the topics people are most passionate about. Perhaps the most popular topics from those 15 years of data could be manually entered to get things started but the idea of starting fresh has its advantages… a bit like archiving your OmniFocus database and starting again with the things that really matter. ;)

Another reason for the list to be public: That way I can check if I've already requested a feature! :P

I'm just curious... Is there any software company that publicly lists a possible future feature list?

I don't see Microsoft and Apple doing this. But of course there are the news leaks when some ingenious soul infiltrates Foxconn and leaks out info on future Mac products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I'm just curious... Is there any software company that publicly lists a possible future feature list?

I don't see Microsoft and Apple doing this. But of course there are the news leaks when some ingenious soul infiltrates Foxconn and leaks out info on future Mac products.
Plenty of smaller companies do — everyone using UserVoice, for instance. :)

Ahh... thanks....

I see this:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/f...io/filters/top

I just hope there is a way to prevent someone from rigging the votes like some of these reality TV singing shows. But I'm sure that if someone puts a safeguard in place, someone else will find a way to get around it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
It doesn't look like uservoice or getsatisfaction let us host our own data, and I'm not interested in storing data that important in someone else's cloud. (Over the last 20 years, we've outlasted too many clouds!)
I'm not sure the majority of Fortune 500 companies (or gmail users) would agree with you. Why spend money, time, resources to build what others with more experience have already built for you? If you are worried about losing the data then just make local backups. This isn't real-time critical data.

There are non-SaaS options, but they are not as user friendly. See this thread - http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/...r-to-uservoice. Most bug tracking software has that option and most support voting including youtrack, jira, and bugzilla.

d