The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

smart folders! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
maybe this has been discussed somewhere else - but i haven`t seen it so far.
i cant wait for omnifocus, but.......
i think it would be really solving a lot of questions that i have seen in some threads, if there will be also so called "smart" folders.
Folders come into their own when they are smart. Smart folders allow you to group entries according to inherent properties such as title, category or date. Whenever you change an entry's properties or a smart folder's criteria, omni focus then automatically (not just by drag and drop)could update the content of the folder to reflect those changes.
so i write it only one time, and it could be sent automatically in many folders - that saves a lot of time
i have seen and used this in "journler" and i hope this will be in omnifocus. what do you think?

danielson

This is a bigger feature than we're going to have room for in 1.0, but we've got an open feature request on smart folders. I'll add your post as a vote for that feature in the database.

You can add an enthusiastic vote of yes for me too! Tagging w/ Smart Folders would make for a very powerful and flexible program.

I, too, may migrate from Journler to Omnifocus and would appreciate smart folder/tagging abilities.

just got my sneaky peak...loving it, loving it, loving it!

I'd like to add my vote for smart folders, in the sense of being able to save filter settings and bring up a preset filter with the click of a button...i suspect that it might be easy enough for a user to set up something like that themselves with some applescripts

Yep. The ability to save filter settings is a must, to be able, for example, to quickly bring up flagged tasks.

I'm not so sure about 'smart folders' based on title etc. That seems to cut against the two-sided GTD system (ie plan in Projects, act in Contexts).

Maybe an intermediate approach would be "smart selection + saved filters". That way one could click on "smart office" in context view and automatically select @online, @phone, @secureServer, @waterCooler, show remaining tasks, sort by start date and group by context. Or "smart home" to select @online, @phone, and @yard, show available tasks sorted by due date.

This way, one could still work in contexts, but quickly get just what you want. Plus it would not require a lot of additional logic normally associated with a 'smart folder' (i.e. AND/OR criteria, keyword searching, etc.). Might even be able to get it into version 1.2 :-)

(This could even maybe be accomplished via applescript. Would probably be clunky though...)

You can add my vote as well. Good luck with keeping the interface simple while adding this - I know you will, just can't imagine how.