The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fuzzy Logic (like Sciral Consistency) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
At last an efficiency app that is efficient.

Can't wait to get a download password.

But there are a couple functions I consider vital for productivity.

1st.

Fuzzy logic time interval task management. See http://sciral.com/consistency/

Allowing you to manage what I call medium landscape: Tasks that you want to do periodically, but that aren't set to specific times/dates per se.

2nd.

A timer function so I can stay mindful of how much time I'm spending on each @context, Project, and task.

What do you think?

Nathan Shaw
www.organizedlivingworld.com

Last edited by NathanShaw; 2007-10-18 at 11:26 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanShaw View Post
At last an efficiency app that is efficient.
A timer function so I can stay mindful of how much time I'm spending on each @context, Project, and task.
I, for one, don't want OF to try to be all things to all people. I'd rather choose my tools for each particular area. For a timer, take a look at Minuteur (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19356). For reference materials I use DevonThink (http://www.devon-technologies.com/).

-starkos.

Quote:
1st.

Fuzzy logic time interval task management. See http://sciral.com/consistency/

Allowing you to manage what I call medium landscape: Tasks that you want to do periodically, but that aren't set to specific times/dates per se.[/url]
OF has a repeat function that keys off assigned date or off completed date. It includes intervals from minutes to years. I don't know if it is "fuzzy logic", but I use it for all my periodic tasks (all that I have entered in OF at least), and it works quite well.

Hi Starkos,

Thanks for the timer software tip.

Software shouldn't be all things to all people partly because then usually it becomes overly complicated with redundant functions and partly because the software generally is not done very well.

I think Omni is special, along with modern programming capabilities. They can set each function to not display, so those that don't want the timer on OF can switch it off and have it hidden completely.

Regarding fuzzy logic task intervals. Sciral Consistency is something I use. I don't think I should have to duplicate my strategy with project/task management between 2 programs if one can help me handle it all.

Again it could be a function that can be hidden/turned off. However I predict most people would definitely want to use it, because time management success depends on flexibility with periodic tasks.

dhm2006, how do you feel the OF function you described compares to Sciral's flexibility etc?

thanks
Nathan

Quote:
Regarding fuzzy logic task intervals. Sciral Consistency is something I use. I don't think I should have to duplicate my strategy with project/task management between 2 programs if one can help me handle it all.

Again it could be a function that can be hidden/turned off. However I predict most people would definitely want to use it, because time management success depends on flexibility with periodic tasks.

dhm2006, how do you feel the OF function you described compares to Sciral's flexibility etc?
OmniFocus and Sciral Consistency look completely different, so if the visual set-up (graphical display) in Sciral is what you want, OF does not have that (and probably never will). However, if what you want is a reminder to show up on a particular date to tell you that it is time to do a particular recurring action again, OF is extremely flexible.

As I mentioned before, OF's repeat function keys off either the original due date assigned or the date completed, and the intervals range from minutes to years. The smallest interval in Sciral appears to be a day. I don't use anything less than a day myself, but some people on the forum have mentioned using smaller intervals.

Like Sciral, you can sort actions by Due Date and Name in OF. Sorting by Consistency is not available, and sorting by Priority -- well, see my comments below.

You can replicate the Sciral's Consistency feature somewhat in OF by reviewing completion dates of repeating actions. Each time you mark a repeating action complete, OF enters a completion date for that instance of the action and creates a new instance of the same action, so you have a history of when and how often you completed the item.

Last time I looked, you could sort, in OF, by completion dates of projects in Planning View, but could not sort by completion dates of actions in either Planning View or Context View. I think sorting by completion dates may be a work in progress.

I am not going to address Priority. Priority is something that has been discussed repeatedly, at great length, and quite fervently on the forum. I recommend you read some of those threads for a full understanding. Anything I say to summarize it will be woefully inadequate from someone's point of view.

Thoses are my thoughts. Hope it helps.

I didn't know Sciral uses fuzzy logic , I thought it was just tracking when you did something and showing you how long it had been since you did it last . Sciral is a unique app for a specific purpose , you can't do project and task management with Sciral . I don't think anything like that could be incorporated into O.F. Life Balance from llamagraphics does use fuzzy logic to determine priorites etc and also allows for the type of task intervals you're referring to . I'd say at least 75% of the items in my O.F outline have either no due date, a specific due date , or a suggested target date . I use sciral to track how often I call mom , or how consistent I am at exercising .
To me , the apps seem to have different purposes . I don't think they can trade places or work together .

I'm playing with Sciral Consistency now and it's very interesting. Thank you for mentioning it.

I do think they are two separate programs with two different goals. But, it would be great if there was a way to link OF with SC. Short of OF adding an extra view and options, what would be ideal would be to map tasks from OF to SC and have the task automatically marked in SC when it is completed in OF.

That doesn't sound possible to me, let alone a priority. But I think that would be a killer feature.

Last edited by Young Daniel; 2007-10-20 at 06:41 PM..