The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

On Hold projects not populating auto-complete Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As for matching heuristics, I'll admit I haven't tried OF's implementation with thousands of projects. I would think that such project heavy usage would be less typical than the 30-100 range I mentioned. Should the application restrict information to accommodate the few project happy, or remain more open for the majority? Or, should the matching algorithm be tuned to accommodate both.

I quite like LaunchBar's way of assigning defaults. The first time you type some nickname or abbreviation in, you have to select it with the arrow usually (unless it is a spot on match). The second time it may not be selected, but it will moved up to a much higher position in the list. When you manually select it the second time it becomes the default. So you only have to use an abbreviation twice for it to be set. This solution is adaptive instead of prepared (filling in fields), and only requires two attempts to set. For wildly off-character nicknames, there is a system for assigning defaults manually, too.

Remember, if the matching is clumsy in large lists, then matching needs to be improved upon. There are a number of successful models out there for good abbreviation matching against huge data sets. Even a thousand projects should not be a problem. The key is, we don't need to see this list. That is why it is only five lines or so visible at once. The true size of this list should be irrelevant.

Finally, I wasn't meaning to advocate constant usage of on hold projects. If a project is undergoing intense planning, it shouldn't be on hold, with this I agree. With occasional inspiration, here is the catch: If you have thirty or forty on hold projects, and you are an active thinker during the day, chances are you'll have an inspiration for at least a dozen of these. This will be distributed amongst numerous on hold projects, in all likelihood. Therefore, even though no single holding project is being subjected to "constant use," in effect, you are very frequently if not "constantly" interacting with holding projects due to quantity. I think that is where we had a miscommunication. A holding project is not a dead or cancelled project. That is what "Dropped" is for, and I don't think dropped projects should be in The List.

A good example right now for me is my book list. I'm in the process of moving, so *all* of my procurement lists are on hold until I get settled in. However, I still come across a book or two a day that I want to buy or check out from the library. Adding books right now is a royal pain. I don't want them in my next action lists, but I need quick entry access to the list.

Last edited by AmberV; 2007-06-26 at 09:36 AM..

I sent my own feedback in before I saw this thread:
-----
I asked for a way to create a custom filter for projects, so I can mix 'em up any way I like.

Failing that, creating a new filter for both Active and On Hold projects, maybe named "Available Projects" or something similar.

...and here, I had the fact that on hold projects didn't show up for QE (or Inbox, or Context for that matter) in my list of bugs to report.

When a project is on hold, it's something I want to do, but I'm not ready to start working on it. This doesn't mean things that involve that project don't pop into my head at random times!

I love OF because I can easily dump things out of my head and into the program, but I've been hung up multiple times mid-dump because I was trying to QE a task into an on hold project and I couldn't get at the project! And I get completely derailed from what I was doing because I won't let it go until I've un-held the project, put the task in it, and held the project again. If I don't do it then, I might forget which project it was supposed to belong to and delete it.

Either option undermines my confidence in OF: I either lose my train of thought to salvage the task, or I risk forgetting to which project that task belonged.

The latter results in emails that run "I know I needed to email you, but I don't remember why, do you know why?"

Well said! Your experience mirrors mine precisely. It is really frustrating and "derailing" as you put it, to have to do the FilterDance whenever I have a quick idea for a holding project. The entire purpose of QE is lost whenever--whenever--you have to switch to OF from your current working app, or change the UI configuration or focus scope in OF.

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. I'm surprised that there was only one respondent who actually prefers the current behaviour. Anyway, I've sent the OF team a link to this thread, so hopefully our voices will be heard on the matter. At the very least, it would be nice to have the option to have a non-culled auto-completion list.

I am going to have to go with the lone voice of dissent and say that I wouldn't want to see “on hold” projects in auto-complete. As i’ve in said previous posts elsewhere on the forum, in my world "on hold" projects are basically dead to me until my weekend weekly review when i review whether or not it's time to make them "active" and get them going again, or rather leave them be for another week. If I need to add actions to "on hold" projects, I would prefer to take the 2s and put them myself than have to spend extra time typing for all the other actions that go into my active projects because the auto-complete is cluttered with all the held projects.

If there’s a way to avoid auto-completion cluttering and speed up action entry for most of my actions, I’m all for it.

Since "our voices" will be heard, I'd like to change what I wrote above and agree with AmberV. I use LaunchBar (constantly) and the list length is irrelevant and does not slow me down. Best to let the app learn your favorite abbreviations quickly and be done with it.

Personally, I want my on-hold projects to be visible for auto-complete. I have pretty significant ADD, so not having to stop when I have an idea for something is a boon to me. I probably don't have nearly the number of projects that others do. Could this be the kind of thing that could be a preference setting so that it comes down to personal preference?

ok, i definitely need to amend my previous statement.

if OF can do a launchbar or quicksilver type of auto-completion where you can set defaults and it actually learns, then I am all in favor of showing everything. i use quicksilver pretty much all day long so i more than get it, and i'm in. If it can't, i would like the option of hiding my currently irrelevant stuff.

has anyone gotten any clue from the omni crew whether this auto-learning stuff is even on their radar and/or in the works?

It seems to me that at least some "simple" learning would be a vast productivity boost to people with large project lists. And that really makes sense even outside this debate on whether or not holding projects should be included. Anyone with a lot of projects is going to want at least basic matching heuristics, and if those basic systems exist, it would only make sense to open up the project list a bit wider. It doesn't have to be super complicated. Even just implementing the two-strike-to-set-default method I outlined above would make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
Well said! Your experience mirrors mine precisely. It is really frustrating and "derailing" as you put it, to have to do the FilterDance whenever I have a quick idea for a holding project. The entire purpose of QE is lost whenever--whenever--you have to switch to OF from your current working app, or change the UI configuration or focus scope in OF.

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. I'm surprised that there was only one respondent who actually prefers the current behaviour. Anyway, I've sent the OF team a link to this thread, so hopefully our voices will be heard on the matter. At the very least, it would be nice to have the option to have a non-culled auto-completion list.
Looking back over this thread I suppose the "one respondent" your referring to is me but I never said that I prefer the current behaviour I was merely trying to offer some alternative solutions.

Like I said, I'm assuming the developers made this change for a reason, either based on feedback or for some programmatic reason that may not be readily apparent to us. This is a pre 1.0 product and I'm sure that they are looking for ways to keep the feature set as simple as possible until release hence I was suggesting what I thought were some easy to implement fixes as a compromise. Advanced pattern matching and learning capabilities may just not be feasible for this round of development.