The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is anyone keeping OO docs in a Git repo? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you are, I was just wondering what your experiences have been. I'm currently gearing up to start work on a book this summer, and I'd like to keep the manuscript in a git repo. I've tended to work in Textmate for smaller projects, but OO seems like a better place to tackle this.

I'm an old Word-hound and so a single-app interface beckons me at the oddest times. I am, however, loathe to trust a project to Word. I had enough difficulties with my last book on Word. Also, I'd like to take advantage of version control not only for better backups but as a way to review changes.

Any experiences/stories are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Laudun View Post
... keep the manuscript in a git repo. ...

Any experiences/stories are welcome.
in a what? what is a git repo? i'm really curious

I too am not entirely sure what GIT is, though I have a general idea.

However, although I don't normally like mentioning software from other sources on a forum like this, I think it might well be worth your taking a look at Scrivener (www.literatureandlatte.com). I don't know about using it with a GIT repo, it does interface to a certain extent with Subversion, though I can't think of anyone who is using it like that.

It does have it's own "Backup to" command built in, and a "snapshot" feature which allows the user to take a snapshot of their work in progress at any point to keep that as a version they can go back to. I haven't had to use "snapshot" myself, so have no personal experience of it.

Mark

Disclaimer: I am not in any way connected with Literature & Latte, just a very happy user of Scrivener.