The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Calendar time vs. duration vs. effort Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I've seen some discussion of this issue in other threads but I'd like a bit more clarification.

In general, when we're planning, we're planning over fixed durations, that is, against calendar time. For example, our grant proposals are typically for a 3 year fixed period. Similarly, our PhD students have two years to finish their thesis from their end of year interview.

Our natural way of working is to start with a calendar duration, i.e., 3 years/36 months, then define tasks and roughly when and over what calendar period they will occur, and then how much resource they'll need.

Aside from the methodological point, the printout really needs to have everything against the 3 year timespan or people will look at it funny.

We've currently hacked around this in two ways: 1, have our durations be longer than our calendar time (i.e., 3 years and a few months...this drives me crazy). The other way is to adjust our working week down a little, so 3 years duration gives us 3 calendar years (but then we get a bit screwed on resource allocation).

Is there a sensible way to align the duration and the calendar to support this style of planning without giving up the other goodies? I don't want to use omniplan just as a gantt chart editor, but I do need the printout to make sense to the people I give it to.

Thanks!