The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Files such as pdf's dont show their names? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can't find info on this: whenever I drag a file into Omnifocus I can see the icon but no details of what it is. So I just end up with generic icons with no clue as to what they are. Any ideas? Thanks.

Currently, OF only display's the file's icon when attached to an action. There's been some discussion about adding in more info on the file, but only Omni knows what the future holds.

In the mean time, you can select the icon and hit the spacebar to view the file with Quick Look.

Wow that's dull. I don't have Quicklook either as I'm Tiger. I really hope they sort this out, I'm demoing at the moment and this is a deal breaker. Thanks.

The fact that you cannot see the name of the files you drag to OF, just a generic icon, this will be fixed?
I cannot understand it- all the other gtd apps I'm demoing do this no problem. It's just so essential (and simple!)and I cannot understand why everybody else is not shouting! Still each to their own I suppose.

I have sent feedback but no reply as yet...

It's a big deal breaker OF.....will it be fixed?

I would also like to see an icon and the name of the file.

Is there a problem of the DB getting too big if you constantly drag files into it?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I would also like to see an icon and the name of the file.

Is there a problem of the DB getting too big if you constantly drag files into it?

Thanks.
That couldn't be it. By default, only an alias to the original file is created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
That couldn't be it. By default, only an alias to the original file is created.
Where is that pref? I'm putting in non-alias files.

It is actually what I prefer. If someone sends an attachment that I need to fill out, I would rather keep it in OF and delete the email. However, if I do this for several months the OF DB might get too big.

There's actually a feature request regarding links / attachments in the appropriate thread. I suggested to handle links/attachments just like they are handled in OmniOutliner. Let's hope OF 1.1 sports this feature ;)

Tom

I would like to suggest that they go one better that OmniOutliner, and make the text of the link searchable the way the rest of the text is. If you are looking for a url in OOutliner now, you need to copy the link text or title next to the url to find it in a general search.
Maybe they can fix OO, as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Where is that pref? I'm putting in non-alias files.
I don't think there is a pref for determining whether an alias or the actual file is copied to OmniFocus, at least not one accessible from the UI. By default, OmniFocus creates an alias when you drag a file into an action's note field. If you hold the option key (I think that's what it was, but I'm not sure and not in front of my machine right now), OmniFocus will store a copy of the dragged file instead.

If I remember correctly, OmniOutliner's behavior was just the opposite (drag creates copy, option-drag creates alias.