The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How about a progress bar or other control? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just bought into OF for iPad and it looks fantastic! I either looked at or installed all the others out there and I think I will really enjoy using OF far more than the others.

What would you think about a feature where there could be some kind of visual indicator of the progress of either a single task or a project? I have seen something like this on other task managers. There could be a pie chart or a line next to the project name that would indicate how far along you are in the project. Similarly, the nice big check box could be a check when touched as usual or maybe a long press would open another window where you could indicate the relative completeness of the task. For example if you are 1/4 along the task, the checkbox could be shaded line a pie chart. Sometimes you get partial way through a task and it's neither complete nor incomplete.

Thanks

Last edited by GeorgeV; 2011-11-13 at 12:06 AM..

I can see the idea, but I wouldn't find it useful.

A single task / action is either 0% or 100% complete, there is no in between.

With projects, just because there are 10 actions to complete the project, this does not mean each is worth 10%, so you would then need to give each action an importance / weighting. and then what happens if you need to add another action in the middle you hadn't anticipated.

This would cause me more work than it resolves and I would class it as spending time tinkering with the system rather than doing actions.

The task "formulate new version of contract" which takes, say, 12 hours, can very well be 50% done. Granted, such a progress bar would be most beneficial if someone has many single tasks which still take a long time to complete.

Yes, exactly, so lets say you break "formulate new version of contract" into 10 smaller tasks and have completed 5 of them. I guess you could somehow see that 5/10 tasks are done but I would find it helpful to see a progress bar show 50% at a glance somewhere.

Maybe there could be a "Project summary" page showing only the progress of all your projects.

i think that OmniFocus is complicated enough as it is. It takes time to get comfortable and master the program.

I would lean more towards leaving that progress meter out. It adds another visual widget that I have to contend with and starts to add more layers of complexity.

In many of the task managers I had used previously, I always tried to set a progress meter but I ended up never using it. It just got in the way of doing things.

Steve Jobs knows all about this..... It's not what you add that gives something value. it's what you take out that makes something unique.

Wilsonng I struggle with the same thing: will I actually use a particular feature? I have looked for certain features in other programs in the past and when I find a program with that feature, I might end up not even using it. That is why I think having a separate page for project summary would be useful. That way there wouldn't be another graphical widget on the same screen as the projects to clutter things up. There could be a settings preference to turn something like this on or off. I have seen other task managers with dozens of settings properties and OF only has a few so they could have more settings to make it more customizable.

I believe we've got a feature request open on something like this - I'll make sure your post gets added to the development database, GeorgeV. Thanks!