The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to add fonts/language support Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to be able to read texts in Farsi (Persian). When I open such a link, it shows all the letters, but they're all weird and broken.

So how do I add the font?

Sepand,

Which page are you trying to view? I can see Farsi perfectly at http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/

There should be nothing to install. This must be a site specific issue.

hey you're right, i can see it as well. What I can't see is this email i get from this person who has a blog in Farsi, and he send a summary of his stuff and some link via email ever other day. When I try to read that email (on hotmail), on omniweb the letters are all broken. Otherwise, BBC Persian works fine.

Try viewing the email in Safari or Firefox. If it still fails, then the problem is almost certainly with how hotmail is interpreting the encoding of the font.

"Avoid Microsoft" is sage advice. :)

Payam

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous View Post
Try viewing the email in Safari or Firefox. If it still fails, then the problem is almost certainly with how hotmail is interpreting the encoding of the font.

"Avoid Microsoft" is sage advice. :)

Payam
It works fine in Safari, Firefox, or Camino. But I'm a firm believer in using only ONE browser, not three. I find OW to be the best, but this is a big issue which has to be solved :(

Just a guess: Maybe the default font that is used in your OW settings doesn't support the required characters. In the preferences, choose "Appearance*", and for "Font Style:*" i.e. "Safari", not "Default". Better?

* These are translations from the German localization, might be that the items are named differently in the English version.

But still, if that was the case, it probably shouldn't work altogether. It's worth a try, anyway.

Another guess: Maybe hotmail does not use utf8, but some other encoding for displaying the characters. If the server doesn't send the correct encoding, in this case some other browsers are able to guess which encoding is the correct one. (I know Opera can do this; I'm not sure abour FF or Safari.) If this is the case, some experimenting with "View->Text Encoding*" might bring you correct results.

Best regards,

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
It works fine in Safari, Firefox, or Camino. But I'm a firm believer in using only ONE browser, not three. I find OW to be the best, but this is a big issue which has to be solved :(
If you use Hotmail, they believe something else, everyone should be using ONE browser on ONE operating system, it is IE on Vista.

Opera Inc. guys have proven that they are feeding erratic data to Opera browser from MSN homepage and the rumour is, they got some great money from court.

I would check Safari/Webkit nightly if I were you
http://nightly.webkit.org

I have some reason to believe it is in fact a webkit issue with Persian.