The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Count me in as the latest OmniWeb convert Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just got tired of Firefox's clunkiness. Each version seems to get worse than the previous one. And the font rendering is, at times, atrocious. Of course, it was easily the most customizable browser out there.

Safari, the supposed fastest browser for Mac OS X, isn't the fastest browser for Mac OS X. There are a few other gripes I have with it, but the lack of speed and the difficulty in changing the page delay was the main issue. Thank God I have a backup installation, because a Satanic application called SafariSpeed just hosed the installation on my main drive.

OmniWeb isn't perfect (I am not fond of the favicons in the favorites bar,) and there's the fact that it's not free (I've actually had a license for several years,) but it renders pages beautifully, I like the cleaner look, and font rendering is as good as Safari's (which was one of that browser's high points.)

Last edited by George in Cincinnati; 2008-11-03 at 08:33 PM..

Word!

Firefox is horrible because it doesn't recognize standard OS X key commands. I just can't use it.

OmniWeb is soooo close, yet so far to being un-freakin'-believable.

Here's hoping for an amazing version 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniGuy View Post
Word!

Firefox is horrible because it doesn't recognize standard OS X key commands. I just can't use it.

OmniWeb is soooo close, yet so far to being un-freakin'-believable.

Here's hoping for an amazing version 6.
I gave my two cents on what I'd like to see in the request forum.

If OmniWeb were free, I think it would annihilate Firefox as the most popular OS X "alternate" browser.

Welcome to the club! It's good to have you. ;)

Firefox is a port. It's a good tool to bring over switchers. Other than that, I have no use for it.

Real Mac users appreciate and understand the beauty and usability of OmniWeb.

I just hope the Omnigroup is going to blow us all away with OW 6 or even 5.9...

I tried using Firefox as my main browser. I can get all the functionality of OW and then some using plug-ins. I even think AdBlock plus is much better than OWs ad blocking solution, but the thing is even the newest Firefox 3.1 beta (Minefield) is - though faster than older versions - still sluggish and it just feels alien on OS X.

When copying and pasting contents of a page from OmniWeb and pasting it into any Cocoa text editor you get styled text, get the links intact, and you get the pictures (unless they're CSS background images). That's what I mean. Firefox doesn't do that. FF just gives you the text without links. It's just not integrated. So for me, too it's back to OmniWeb, hoping it'll get a slight feature bump soon...

Last edited by arglborps; 2008-11-13 at 08:35 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by George in Cincinnati View Post
I just got tired of Firefox's clunkiness. Of course, it was easily the most customizable browser out there.
hahahahahahaha nice joke.

Fraid not buddy, uv'e lived in a dungeon too long. FF3 is a toy. Go download iCab and check out a real browser then come back here after you pick your jaw up from the floor with amazement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
hahahahahahaha nice joke.

Fraid not buddy, uv'e lived in a dungeon too long. FF3 is a toy. Go download iCab and check out a real browser then come back here after you pick your jaw up from the floor with amazement.
Sorry for the long delay...

I did try iCab and I stick to my statement.

I'm getting used to the drawer-style tabs. However, I'd still love it if I could remove the bookmark favicons in the favorites bar so I can squeeze two or three more bookmarks in there.