The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving text input elements = bad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another vote here for keeping stuff in one place. I just entered 10 actions as part of my review and chasing the damn UI elements gets really old and frustrating.

It can be so annoying to even remind people that there is a thread that exists where they can post rants such as this. ;-)

Brandon

It occurs to me that I forgot to include my standard advice of "email the ninjas so they can write this feedback up for the rest of the team".

Forum threads help in the short term by giving folks a chance to vent, but that doesn't actually move the issue towards the desired conclusion. ;-)

AAAAAannnd poking around in the development database, it looks like we'll be moving the text cursor into the title field in an upcoming release.

Haven't figured out how to fully eliminate the text flickering, but the panel won't move around any longer. Improvement! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
AAAAAannnd poking around in the development database, it looks like we'll be moving the text cursor into the title field in an upcoming release.

Haven't figured out how to fully eliminate the text flickering, but the panel won't move around any longer. Improvement! :-)
YES! Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiChaos View Post
I just purchased OmniFocus for the iPad yesterday. So far I am really enjoying the application.

I think there is one important thing I would change:
When creating a new item the new item starts in the center of the screen and then moves up to make room for the keyboard. So far so good...
Then, if you choose a context and then goto choose a project the New Item window moves back down but the keyboard comes back up.

I would think this would be a bug... but in the general scheme of things its terrible to move text entry fields while I am trying to type. This slows down data entry for sure.
OMG, I 100% agree! I thought I was the only one who found this super annoying.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of this, either, but in our defense, some of the keyboard-related stuff is a little bit trickier than it appears. :-)

Standard "I'm not an engineer, I'm paraphrasing conversations I've had with them about this, if it's wrong it's my fault" disclaimers apply from here on out...

We don't have direct control over whether the keyboard is visible or not; we put focus on something that accepts keyboard input, and the frameworks take care of showing/hiding the keyboard.

When the popover for picking a context/project disappears, there's no keyboard focus, so the keyboard animates away until you bring another popover up.

One thing we tried was putting the text cursor back in the Title field if you'd edited that before setting those fields, but a) that doesn't solve every case and b) it sometimes causes the text to flicker, which is just trading one form of bad for another. :-)

In any case, this issue falls into the "things we knowingly shipped without really being fans of" category. Stopping this from happening is on our radar screen, but if we already knew how to avoid it, we would have. :-)
Then it needs to be rebuilt. Or it shouldn't have been built that way.

Quote:
Keep in mind that not all keyboards are the same height (different languages have different keyboards), and we aren't currently aware of API to find out how tall the keyboard is before it appears.

We just say "show the keyboard, please", and once Cocoa Touch is done with the animation, then we can ask it how tall it is.
I don't really care how high the keyboard is, I just want one! When editing an existing action (say one that repeats, and I just want to edit the date in the notes field to indicate I have paid the rent on a certain day...), tapping in the action name field brings the keyboard into view, but then highlighting the wrong date in the notes field magically makes the Keyboard disappear! This is a nightmare for a quick edit- you JUST CAN'T DO IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniejr View Post
I don't really care how high the keyboard is, I just want one! When editing an existing action (say one that repeats, and I just want to edit the date in the notes field to indicate I have paid the rent on a certain day...), tapping in the action name field brings the keyboard into view, but then highlighting the wrong date in the notes field magically makes the Keyboard disappear! This is a nightmare for a quick edit- you JUST CAN'T DO IT.
I find this behavior is rather erratic in its presentation; most of the time a single tap in the note field as the first thing done when entering the editor will bring up a keyboard, but sometimes it won't, and a tap in the action field at that point will usually get the keyboard out of hiding. A double-tap in the note field (like to do a selection) as the first move is a recipe for trouble; tap once to get the focus into the note field, then do your double-tap.