The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Source Editor - upload by FTP Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Excuse me for cross posting this to the omniweb-l email group, I guess that's not so active any longer and i just found the forum.

Hi,
Former user - returning after a long absence. How's it going everyone?

The source editor, my favorite feature has brought me back . . .

Reading the Help pages it indicates that I can replace a file by FTP as long as I am logged in and have read'write permission on the file. Logged in HOW? I am logged in on a FTP client, these are my files . . . but when I press Store the icon dims for a few seconds as if uploading the new file, then the icon reappears, but no change has happened to the file on the FTP server.

Does anyone have any insight into how this functions?

tia,
Jim

Is it now possible to edit and replace files on a remote webserver by FTP (or alternatively by HTTP)?

Thanks,
jim

Hey jimlongo, you might use the Help > Send Feedback... option from within OW to ask your question. You will likely get an answer more quickly.

Well, now you got me curious, too. I alternately get an error when I store a page to the remote server, or I get an apparent confirmation (the store button becomes disabled). In either case, nothing happens. For example, I reformatted this forum page and saved it, but nothing happened.

I tried logging in to my ftp server, but no go there, either.

I do hope the OG people will clarify things because this would be a very nice feature to have.

P

Well i can't see how you'd expect to edit an upload a forum page, you don't have FTP permission to do that, and besides it's dynamically generated.

But if it's a page that belongs to you on a server that belongs to you, then according to the manual you should be able to edit and upload it. But I can't seem to get it to work.

I have submitted feedback, but no response there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlongo
I have submitted feedback, but no response there either.
Hmmm, I think it's typically troyb who gets those messages. He hasn't posted in over a week so maybe he's out of the office :(

I'm guessing Troy has been swamped by the influx of support emails from the release of 5.5 final. Greg Titus wrote the feature, but he is currently in charge of OmniPlan and so probably too busy getting version 1.0 out the door to be lurking in the OmniWeb forums.

I wouldn't normally try to answer here since I don't think I ever used that feature but here is my understanding based on vague recollections of the design of the feature 2(?) years ago:

If you view source on a page that you received via http, when you click the Store button, we attempt to store via http PUT. If that fails (the server rejects the attempt) we disable the button since obviously future attempts are not going to succeed (it starts out enabled because we can't really be sure whether or not it might succeed).

If view source on a page you received via ftp, then we attempt to save the page using ftp. You might need to view the page using a login and password in order for the save attempt to succeed (e.g. ftp://mylogin:mypassword@myftp.mydomain.com/mypage.html)

This is my recollection but I could be completely wrong--however it does seem to match up fairly well with omniweb:/Help/sourceedit/index.html

I see what you mean, it works by ftp in my case . . . I guess I wouldn't have HTTP PUT authorization on a remote server?

thanks,
jim