The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Working with screenshots Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.

I need to make a spec document using screen shots of our web site, with annotations describing the specs of certain elements on the screen, using callouts, arrows, etc.

This seems hard to do in OG 4 since the JPG files of the screens are larger than the 8.5x11 pages I want to use, and scaling the images down uniformly from page to page is a pain. Also, I need to update the images as the screens are edited by designers.

Is there a better way to do this? Am I missing something?

I would say that the first step is to set your browser window to the dimensions that will work best in your layout. After that, you can use OG's phenomenal masking tool to zoom in on what you want. In the image inspector, set the size to "natural size", and then use the small preview to put the mask where you want it. Also use the size percentages to get the right size for each image.

This is a wonderful way to make a template because once you have it "right", all you do is change the image that fills the mask. :)

Payam

Alternatively, use e.g. an Automator generated application (or Finder plug-in) - you can easily create this yourself if you have Tiger or Leopard - to scale your original images to more appropriate dimensions and apply an unsharp mask to improve their legibility before importing them into OmniGraffle. You can do a batch conversion of all your images in one go using the right processes in Automator.