The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting Single-Action lists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a Single-Action List that includes about 80 items with Due Dates. Isn't there a way to sort these by Due Date?

I select that Sort at the top, but it acts like it ignores it. It seems it treats a Single-Action List "Header" as the Project, although the Guide says that each Single Action is like its own project. But, it really isn't. I can sort Projects by Due Date, but not Actions within a Single-Action list.

Any solutions to this and, if not, any reasoning behind why it is designed this way (in case I am thinking backwards)?

Not a solution for sorting in Planning mode, but if you select the single-action list, Focus on it, and then switch to Context mode, you can then group and sort by due date.

Thanks, Brian. I think that will work fine for now. Are you aware of a reason that it doesn't work right in Planning Mode? Am I looking at it wrong or does it not seem to work like it should? The reason I want to determine that is to make a more reasonable request for it to be addressed in an upcoming release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whardy7 View Post
Are you aware of a reason that it doesn't work right in Planning Mode?
Well, I'm not sure I'd say it "doesn't work right." In other words, I don't think it is actually broken.

The idea in the current design is that the order of individual actions has special meaning in planning mode (i.e. priority, execution sequence, etc.), so OmniFocus doesn't muck with them, and all dynamic sorting is done on the project level. Personally, I think this is a good thing and wouldn't want it to be changed.

In context mode, on the other hand, the primary focus is on individual actions. Projects are secondary. So all dynamic sorting operates on the action level.

Notice that I use the term "dynamic sorting", meaning temporary sorting done from the view bar that's used to look at your data in a variety of ways.

You can also do more "static" sorting in planning mode, which does work on individual actions. Select the actions you want to sort and go to Edit->Sort in the menu bar and choose an option.

Now, here's the clincher: unfortunately, Due Date is not one of the options in the Edit->Sort menu. So this won't currently get you what you're looking for. But, it's probably how Omni Group should address the issue, and it's also a good starting point for your feature request. By the way, I think other people have already requested more options for the Edit->Sort menu. I've personally requested the addition of a Next Review option to be added.

We've got an existing feature request open for adding Due Date to the options available under Edit -> Sort. Folks that want to see this option added should send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and indicate that they're also interested.