The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Define constraint as a function of another task? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(I'm a new user - please excuse the basic questions - I am searching the forum and reading the manual but not finding everything that I think is likely to be possible)

I have a series of tasks, each 3 weeks long. I would like each task to start one week after the prior task (task 1 starts at T, task 2 starts at "task 1 start plus 1 week", task 3 starts at "task 3 start plus 1 week").

I can hard-code the start dates for tasks 2 and 3, but I thought there would be a way to use either dependencies or constraints to link task 2 to task 1 and task 3 to task 2.

I created start-start dependencies, but I couldn't find a way to enforce the 1 week separation.

I couldn't find a way to define the constraint as a function of the other task.

Am I on the right track? Suggestions? I know I could break each task up into two parts - one part that ends after the first week and a second part that includes the final two weeks - so that I would have a week-long activity that I could use to link to in each case, but that's a lot of extra activities to define and group so I'm hoping to find a more elegant solution.

It's straightforward to do, and you're on the right track. Enter your tasks, connect them with Start-Start dependencies, and then use the Task:Dependencies inspector to set the lead time to 1 week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 12.png
Views:	748
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1076