The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Siri + OmniFocus [Siri support added in OmniFocus for iPhone v1.13] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's a good discussion on using launchd for timing applescripts:
http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=21367

For the applescript, paste the code into the AppleScript Editor app on you mac, and save it someplace where its location won't change. Also be sure to change the calendar name in the script to whichever calendar you use.

It will only work with OS X 10.7.2 and iOS 5, and you have to have iCloud set up on your mac and your iPhone.

hth,
naupaka

Last edited by naupaka; 2011-10-14 at 04:30 PM..

Full Siri integration isn't necessary. What is important is to integrate with Reminders, which can be used as a 'pre-inbox' or as a separate tracking tool like your Calendar. If you think about it there is a need for such a tool, already in one day I'm using Reminders this way.
  1. Reminders This is the hopper. Ideally it would be the OF Inbox, but it can serve as a pre-inbox. A lot of stuff goes in there (quick one offs), if it's important or bigger it can make it to the more formal OF database.
  2. Calendar Hard landscape important events.
  3. OmniFocus More important longer term project tracking etc.

naupaka has an interesting approach which I'll investigate.

Again - I don't think Siri integration should be the focus right now, Reminders fits a tasking niche that OmniFocus needs to work with, just as it does for iCal.

I agree that the optimal situation would be an OF integration with Reminders so could chat with Siri as normal, but have items from Reminders show up in the Inbox or elsewhere to be processed into our workflow. Siri is a wonderful capture tool, but Reminders is not a great task manager.

I used OmniFocus on the Mac and the email rule setting along with an address book entry to make it easy for Siri to create OmniFocus items. Now I can say something like this to Siri:

"Tell Omnifocus Pick Up Books At Library"

And it works.

Here's what I did:

1. In OmniFocus on the Mac, use the OmniFocus Preferences to turn on a Mail rule, allowing for the from address in emails sent through the AT&T SMS gateway (in the form 2125551212@mms.att.net)

2. Double check the new email rule in the Mail Preferences

3. Create a contact with the first name "Omni" and last name "Focus" (it had a hard time when I created a contact with the name "omnifocus". Set the email address for that contact to be youremail+omnifocus@yourprovider.com

Thus, when you say "tell omnifocus" to Siri, it'll create a text message to send to that address, which in turn, when received, will trigger the mail rule to create an omnifocus item. It's a little bit convoluted, but doesn't require AppleScript hacking and works well for me so far.

Hopefully, the geniuses at Omni Group will come up with a more elegant and general solution soon, but in the mean time this will do.

p.s. If you don't want to use SMS, you could also say to Siri: "Email Omnifocus..." but this requires an extra step to fill out the email message body.

I would love to go straight to omnifocus.

That said, I love the fact that roughly 72 hours after launch there are already two fleshed out work arounds in this forum!

See omnifocus really does make you more productive!

Looks like the Remember the Milk folks have figured out a path to replace the reminder app with their app via a calDav integration. See http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2011/10/we-taught-siri-to-add-tasks-to-remember-the-milk/ and http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/19/teach-siri-to-interact-with-rememberthemilk/

Could the same thing be done w/ Omnifocus?

RTM has Siri integration. They have a video of it and it looks like it works great.

I checked out the RTM integration, and they did it by setting up a CALDAV calendar that intercepts one of the reminder lists. It's a very elegant setup I have to admit. My main Mac lost it's hard drive which has me in a hindered state right now too so I guess it looked even more elegant as it didn't require local scripting.

This is the closest I've come to moving away in some time. The biggest challenge I have in my workflow is capture, and Siri has that nailed.

I was very impressed both by the feature and even more by the speed with which they were able to implement it, get out instructions for use, and publicize it. I was moved to give them another look, but concluded to stay with OF for now, in the belief that it'll come here soon enough. Still, major coup for them - I read about on a popular Apple blog website and I've got to think a lot of people with new iPhones are giving them a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackketter View Post
I used OmniFocus on the Mac and the email rule setting along with an address book entry to make it easy for Siri to create OmniFocus items. Now I can say something like this to Siri:

"Tell Omnifocus Pick Up Books At Library"

And it works.

Here's what I did:

1. In OmniFocus on the Mac, use the OmniFocus Preferences to turn on a Mail rule, allowing for the from address in emails sent through the AT&T SMS gateway (in the form 2125551212@mms.att.net)

2. Double check the new email rule in the Mail Preferences

3. Create a contact with the first name "Omni" and last name "Focus" (it had a hard time when I created a contact with the name "omnifocus". Set the email address for that contact to be youremail+omnifocus@yourprovider.com

Thus, when you say "tell omnifocus" to Siri, it'll create a text message to send to that address, which in turn, when received, will trigger the mail rule to create an omnifocus item. It's a little bit convoluted, but doesn't require AppleScript hacking and works well for me so far.

Hopefully, the geniuses at Omni Group will come up with a more elegant and general solution soon, but in the mean time this will do.

p.s. If you don't want to use SMS, you could also say to Siri: "Email Omnifocus..." but this requires an extra step to fill out the email message body.

How would you set this up with Sprint? I have no idea how to use SMS gateway - to be honest i've never really heard of it (low technical knowledge). Any thoughts?