The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Modifying date of downloaded files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In the release notes, it states, "Modified date of downloaded files can now reflect when it was downloaded, controlled by the OWDownloadsKeepOriginalDate preference, which defaults to false."
I would VERY much like to do this. Where can I set this? I tried OW Prefs-nothing there. I opened OmniWeb 5 Bookmarks.http with Text Edit and couldn't find it. I opened com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist to no avail.
How can I set this? Thanks.

The reason you can't find it is probably because it hasn't been modified at all to create it. You probably need to enter in Terminal (the application):

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWDownloadsKeepOriginalDate -bool True

You need to quit OW before you do that. Then relaunch when done.

I haven't gotten into Terminal yet, although despite that I'm fairly tech-literate. Just type it in at the prompt, exactly as in the post, including a space?
Of course I'll do a complete backup first. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
You need to quit OW before you do that. Then relaunch when done.

Personally, I would copy and paste - that way you won't introduce any typos (unless I've made them myself ;) ...btw, I have just copy/pasted the "OWDownloadsKeepOriginalDate" from your original post so I would double check that this is completely correct first).

So: 1. Check that entry is correct. 2. Copy/paste to a terminal window and press enter to perform the action. 3. Relaunch OmniWeb and test whether or not it is working.

OWDownloadsKeepOriginalDate is correct as is the string above. Pasting it into a terminal window should do the trick.

Also, the file you're editing by doing this is here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist

I'm backing up my boot drive now. Interesting that when I open that .plist I can't find the string, as the release notes state, "OWDownloadsKeepOriginalDate preference, which defaults to false" I would thus expect to find that string with false, but there is no such string. I'll try it tonight. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
OWDownloadsKeepOriginalDate is correct as is the string above. Pasting it into a terminal window should do the trick.

Also, the file you're editing by doing this is here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist

The behavior defaults to False internally. You can override the setting by adding a true value to the preference file.

I'm going to try it through Terminal tonight. When I open the ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist (where ~ is my user folder, and do a search for that text string, it isn't there. I just thought I would see the string and could substitute true for false. Wish me luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
The behavior defaults to False internally. You can override the setting by adding a true value to the preference file.

Went into Terminal and did the above. Restarted twice. Tried downloading a PDF this morning, and the modification date is two months ago. Sigh.