The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

latest, greatest Entourage to Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to mac, entourage, omnifocus but pretty hapy after a few weeks.

I know this has been covered in part, but some of the links here listed under entourage and omnifocus are actually entourage only scripts and tips.

My specific question is whether anyone has successfully linked an Entourage email to a new task with a link to the email in the omnifocus new task? I have gotten Sandro's macro to work, but without a link to the actual email it makes it a lot less useful. His script pastes the body of the message into the note field, but I saw someone else mention it should be possible to have a link to the actual email--so once the task is acted on a single click would bring up the email for action.

Also, I cannot get Omnifocus to 'come to the front' after running the macro from entourage--any tips on that?

If I am missing something, i apologize. Been searching and reading here for a couple of hours and this specific question/answer has eluded me.

Thanks,

Rob

I agree that it would be much better to have the task link back to the Entourage email but I haven't been able to find a solution for that. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that one can link back to specific emails in Entourage. If anyone has been able to do so, or knows of a solution, please let me know and I will integrate it asap...

As far as getting OmniFocus to come to front, Omni broke (or something to that effect) the 'activate' applescript command a while ago so I simply commented it out of the script. I haven't gone back to test it out because I have actually come to prefer not having OF come to the front. By all means try uncommenting the line and see if it works for you.

hmm, as entourage supports Sotlight and I can easily open a specific email via that, there should be a way to do this, maybe through spotlight?

I'd like to bump this. I'm now being pushed to use Entourage/Exchange/Blackberry through work and am quite shocked to see there's very little on how to integrate OF into this sort of workflow.

I'm not on a machine with Entourage, but I can point you in the right direction:

Every Entourage item has a unique ID that's part of its properties. That UID is also found in the spotlight metadata of its spotlight cache item.

So.....

You can use a "do shell script" to run an mdfind for the appropriate UID and then create a link to that spotlight cache file. Opening the file will open the appropriate message in Entourage.

Not quite EASY, but it does get the job done. I've had to do the same thing with Mail before.

Hi iNik,
I'm pretty new at this, but I tried the do shell script as you described and it didn't work. I might have messed up on adding the link to that spotlight cache file. Any suggestions?

On my installation of Entourage 2008, I have a vast hierarchy of files with names like:
/Users/paco/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft/Entourage/2008/Cigital/Messages/0T/0B/0M/6K/6224.vRge08Message

These files, if you open them using the "open" command on the command line or double click on them, cause Entourage to fire up looking at a specific message.

The files actually seem to be an XML-ish plist-ish representation of the actual email messages. Thus, Spotlight can index these. If you used mdfind to find one of these files, you could link to it. Then double clicking on that file name ought to have the desired effect.

I'm too new to OmniFocus. I haven't started integrating it into all my tools, yet. When I saw this thread I thought I'd post what little bit I knew.

Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnyc View Post
I agree that it would be much better to have the task link back to the Entourage email but I haven't been able to find a solution for that. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that one can link back to specific emails in Entourage. If anyone has been able to do so, or knows of a solution, please let me know and I will integrate it asap...

As it seems to be the case that indeed there is no way to link back to the Entourage email, am I safe to assume that it is also impossible at this point to link a file (or a reference to a file) from an email, or for that matter from the Finder, to a note in OF through AppleScript?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_UST View Post
As it seems to be the case that indeed there is no way to link back to the Entourage email, am I safe to assume that it is also impossible at this point to link a file (or a reference to a file) from an email, or for that matter from the Finder, to a note in OF through AppleScript?
A bit of browsing of OmniFocus' dictionary in Script Editor does reveal some support for file attachments in the rich text section...but I couldn't tell you if it is sufficient to do what you want.

One can easily create an event and paste the text of the email in the note field by using the parse task with transpor text command. The problem, as noted above, is that there is no reference to the original email. How would one use this command or any other command to attach to the action item that parse taks creates? Has anyone successfully attached a file to an action item? If so, what is the syntax? The dictionary is not so helpful here, I don't think.