The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notes to level? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is a newbe question, but I tried a search and couldn't come up with an answer.

I have imported a file from Mellel (which I exported as OPML) and it works fine.

What I would like to do now is promote the notes to a level in the outline. Is this possible?

TIA

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjimmyk View Post
What I would like to do now is promote the notes to a level in the outline. Is this possible?
If you are happy install a script on the OO toolbar, or in the Script Menu, you could experiment with this. It is intended to convert the notes of any selected rows to child rows.
This draft aims to preserve any attachments in the note, but always back up your file before trying anything like this, and experiment first with dummy data ...

Code:
-- Ver 0.5

-- 	THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS 
-- 	"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, 
-- 	THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. 
-- 	IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR 
-- 	ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
-- 	 (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; 
-- 	 LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, 
-- 	 WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) 
-- 	 ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

property pNullString : ""

tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniOutlinerPro3"
	set oSeln to selected rows of front document
	repeat with oRow in oSeln
		tell oRow
			set strNote to note
			if (length of strNote) > 0 then
				set topic of (make new row at before first child) to note
				set {note expanded, note, expanded} to {false, pNullString, true}
			end if
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-06-24 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Edited code to ver 0.5 (simplified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
If you are happy install a script on the OO toolbar, or in the Script Menu, you could experiment with this. It is intended to convert the notes of any selected rows to child rows.
This draft uses duplication to preserve any attachments in the note, but always back up your file before trying anything like this, and experiment first with dummy data ...
Thanks a bunch!! This looks like just what I am looking for. I'll be careful and experiment.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjimmyk View Post
This looks like just what I am looking for. I'll be careful and experiment
I went back and made some further edits to the code (above), so it might be worth checking that you have the later version (0.5)

This is great. Does anyone have a script which takes Row Text and converts it to a Note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a63rve View Post
This is great. Does anyone have a script which takes Row Text and converts it to a Note.
What are you looking for exactly? Do you want something that takes all the child rows of an item and turns them into the note text of the item? What if the children have notes or their own children?

Curt

I have imported in a foreign language text. As I translate and organize the thoughts, I'd like to move each row into a note so that I can use the same row for translation. So an AS that creates a note beneath the current row, copies the content of the row into the note and returns the currsor to the beginning of the row so I can now type the translation.