The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Siri capture Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Several questions/problems with Siri capture (using the very latest version of OF for iPhone):

(1) if I name the Reminders list "OmniFocus" Siri consistently tells me I don't have such a list, then offers a listing showing ... OmniFocus as one of them. If I rename to "Omni Focus" (with the space) it finds the list. ????

(2) If I say "Add .... to my OmniFocus list" (the renamed list, as above), it adds the item to the list, and OF captures it. GREAT! But how do I add a time? I can't seem to get that to work. If I say "Add pack my computer to my OmniFocus list at 7 am tomorrow" it creates a reminder, "Pack my computer at 7 am tomorrow" as the text. But it doesn't add the time/date.

Same problem. Siri always says it can't find "Omni Focus" list (note the space). I've tried pronouncing it with accent on different syllables but no luck so far. Any tips?

#2 I think has just not been coded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilcox View Post
Several questions/problems with Siri capture (using the very latest version of OF for iPhone):

(1) if I name the Reminders list "OmniFocus" Siri consistently tells me I don't have such a list, then offers a listing showing ... OmniFocus as one of them. If I rename to "Omni Focus" (with the space) it finds the list. ????

(2) If I say "Add .... to my OmniFocus list" (the renamed list, as above), it adds the item to the list, and OF captures it. GREAT! But how do I add a time? I can't seem to get that to work. If I say "Add pack my computer to my OmniFocus list at 7 am tomorrow" it creates a reminder, "Pack my computer at 7 am tomorrow" as the text. But it doesn't add the time/date.

Folks will want to make sure that the OmniFocus list appears in the "Mac.com" section of Reminders - a list in the "On My iPhone" section will not work for these purposes.

I'd also suggest using Settings.app on your phone to make the OmniFocus list the default reminders list. (In "Mail, Contacts, Calendars", tap on your iCloud account, then scroll down to the Reminders section at the bottom of the next screen.)

This allows you to use Siri's "Remind me to <x>" phrasing. Once you tell it what you want to be reminded about, Siri will ask you for info on when you'd like the reminder to fire.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Folks will want to make sure that the OmniFocus list appears in the "Mac.com" section of Reminders - a list in the "On My iPhone" section will not work for these purposes.

I'd also suggest using Settings.app on your phone to make the OmniFocus list the default reminders list. (In "Mail, Contacts, Calendars", tap on your iCloud account, then scroll down to the Reminders section at the bottom of the next screen.)

This allows you to use Siri's "Remind me to <x>" phrasing. Once you tell it what you want to be reminded about, Siri will ask you for info on when you'd like the reminder to fire.

Hope this helps!
Brian,

What we were noting was that Siri was hearing "Omni Focus" by default. Having said that, it seems that the last 2-3 times I've tried, it's no longer having the problem. It's now correctly hearing "OmniFocus" (no space); perhaps it's learning my accent?

About the "reminder" mechanism. I haven't done that yet b/c I'm trying the iPhone Reminder interface 1st for quick and dirty reminders - it seems to work well so far.

Thanks for the advice,
-Alex

I just picked up a 4s this weekend, and dove right into the Siri/OF connection. Got it working, after having similar problems with getting it to see "OmniFocus" list and not "Omni Focus" (helpful posts helped me to understand her "accent"). My question is this: After posting a reminder to my OF list in reminders, do I always need to open OF for iPhone first, or can I go right to my OF app on my Mac, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks. for someone getting their OF sea legs, this is a really helpful resource.

Welcome to OmniFocus and to the forums, Blue!

You will need to open OmniFocus for iPhone in order to process those actions into your database. When we created the feature, we wanted to do something for all the folks who were emailing us about wanting to use Siri with OmniFocus for iPhone - and we wanted the reminders to be as reliable as we could possibly make them. Keeping the feature in the iPhone app helps the latter goal.

With the current approach, if someone files a reminder, they’ll either get it from OmniFocus (after capture) or from Reminders (before capture). Not launching OmniFocus doesn’t mean you’ll miss something - it just changes where the alert comes from.

Routing things through the Mac would introduce more opportunities for missed alerts than the current approach. The alert might appear on your Mac, but neither OmniFocus or Reminders would do anything on your phone…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Hope this helps!
So Brian (or others) is it safe to assume we can't have our cake and eat it too? :)

Here's what I mean: I have OF and Siri connected using the "OmniFocus" list and it works great for adding items to my inbox (without Due Dates). However, I would like to keep the "Reminders" list separate (mainly due to the home/work leave/arrive functionality). I'm assuming I can't have:

1. The Reminders list be able to fire reminders by saying, "Remind me to...", while
2. Being able to choose whether I add a due date to something on my OmniFocus list or not ("Remember to..." vs. "Remind me...").

I've tried several iterations of "Remind me to view reports tomorrow at 8am to my OmniFocus list." where I want to use the OF list (since it's not context specific) and I want to use a due date. It seems right now I can only add non-due date items to the inbox using this method, right?

If I have thoroughly confused you, please let me know. :)

THanks!

Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
So Brian (or others) is it safe to assume we can't have our cake and eat it too? :)

Here's what I mean: I have OF and Siri connected using the "OmniFocus" list and it works great for adding items to my inbox (without Due Dates). However, I would like to keep the "Reminders" list separate (mainly due to the home/work leave/arrive functionality). I'm assuming I can't have:

1. The Reminders list be able to fire reminders by saying, "Remind me to...", while
2. Being able to choose whether I add a due date to something on my OmniFocus list or not ("Remember to..." vs. "Remind me...").

I've tried several iterations of "Remind me to view reports tomorrow at 8am to my OmniFocus list." where I want to use the OF list (since it's not context specific) and I want to use a due date. It seems right now I can only add non-due date items to the inbox using this method, right?

If I have thoroughly confused you, please let me know. :)

THanks!
I'm having the same problem. Siri seems to be unable to work with multiple reminder lists. I found a blog post where a guy says he found the syntax to make it work.

http://shawnblanc.net/2011/10/siri-a...eminder-lists/

I'm still unable to move to a different list, but at least this is a step in the right direction. One thing I notice on his screen shots is it shows the the reminder list in red at the top of the Siri confirmation. Mine doesn't do that. Not sure why.

Some people report that adding an entry in Contacts named "OmniFocus" helps Siri learn the name, and not get confused looking for "Omni Focus"