The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

upgraded to 1.0.2 and can't open my database! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
UPDATE: I now have my database working. In desperation I just opened up my original file (the one I thought was corrupted) and went to lunch. When I got back OF was up and running and all my data was there. I thought OF had frozen because the little dashed circle in the opening "splash box" had stopped spinning and I had waited a couple minutes. It ended up taking a LOT longer, more like 5-10 minutes to open up under 1.2. If you experience this, don't Force Quit! Be patient, wait many several minutes and it will open!

-------------------------------------------------------

Original Plea:

I just upgraded to the new OF 1.2 and now I can't open up my database. I upgraded via the new version alert after opening up my 1.1 document. It opened fine and has worked fine for a long time.

After the upgrade, OF hung and I had to force quit. I noticed the database file had a modified date/time of when I tried to open OF but couldn't.

I cleared out the OmniFocus folder in Application Support and I am able to open up both 1.1 and 1.2. I then tried putting my old OmniFocus folder back into Application Support but it would hang again. I tried to "Revert to Database Backup" but that won't work.

I have two screen shots of the error messages I received. It seems like maybe one of the XML files in my OF database is corrupt. Removing that file did not help.

Of course I could revert to a back up, but I just discovered all the back ups I've been making are not copying over the database package contents! What a time to find this out!

Is there any hope?

Here are some screen shots of the error messages I've received:

I am using an iBook G4 with Mac OS 10.4.11.

Thanks for any help!

Eric

Last edited by webalstrom; 2008-05-15 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Fixed The Problem

I'm also having a similar problem.

I upgraded at the urging of the pop-up window and now I can't see anything. I get the attached pop-ups and then I am running, but there's no data.

I REALLY hoping to save my data.

When I try re-opening with the previous version I get a crash dump handler, and I let it send the crash dump info to Omni-group. Still no results.

Any suggestions?

-Vik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken1.gif
Views:	506
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	530   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken2.gif
Views:	525
ID:	531   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken3.gif
Views:	511
ID:	532   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken4.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	533  

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing - here's what's going on.

When a new build of OmniFocus starts up and sees that it's newer than the build that last touched your data, the first thing it does is run through your database and look for errors in all the data that's been added since your last update. (Or the last time you backed up.)

It sounds like it just had been a quite while since this process had been run on webalstrom's machine and it took us some time to validate the data. If this happens to you, don't force-quit the app; terminating the process early could actually introduce problems where there weren't any before.

webalstrom - could you explain what you meant by 'revert to backup didn't work' in your post?

For viksolem, it sounds like we are actually having trouble reading one of your transaction files off of the disk. You'll want to contact our support ninjas at omnifocus@omnigroup.com
so they can help you.

Quote:
When a new build of OmniFocus starts up and sees that it's newer than the build that last touched your data, the first thing it does is run through your database and look for errors in all the data that's been added since your last update. (Or the last time you backed up.)

It sounds like it just had been a quite while since this process had been run on webalstrom's machine and it took us some time to validate the data. If this happens to you, don't force-quit the app; terminating the process early could actually introduce problems where there weren't any before.

webalstrom - could you explain what you meant by 'revert to backup didn't work' in your post?
Brian,

What you describe about taking some time sounds like what was happening to me. After letting OF run (and look like it was apparently frozen) while I went to lunch (crying into my soup the whole time ;-), I cam back and OF was working again with my data intact.

Before leaving it alone, I tried a lot of stuff, including trying File-->Revert to Database Backup. That is where I started getting some of the error message I showed in my original post. Not that I'm a programmer or really know what I'm talking about, but I assume reverting to a back up wasn't working because OF was reviewing the data file for errors.

All is well now, and I'm not sure if other people will experience this delay. But it might be a good idea to put up a warning about not force quitting OF when you open a newer version for the first time.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by webalstrom View Post
But it might be a good idea to put up a warning about not force quitting OF when you open a newer version for the first time.
Thanks for the additional info - yeah, we should probably make the file scan process more informative; I'm writing that up as a feature request.

I am also having the same problem (but without the offer to rebuild the database).

From Console:

5/21/08 8:48:33 AM OmniFocus[497] Exception reading XML: Unable to parse XML (status=10, index=1, line=1, error=Encountered unexpected character 0x0 ('') at top-level)
5/21/08 8:48:33 AM OmniFocus[497] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=com.omnigroup.OmniFocus Code=2129 UserInfo=0x164527b0 "Unable to read document." {
NSLocalizedDescription = "Unable to read document.";
NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion = "Error occurred while reading document from '/Users/XXXXXX/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus/4407ED8D-294B-4508-A129-CBB6D0E0B1CB:FE7CD4E9-DCEC-4947-9B8D-35B733D2C672.xml'. Check the console for a more detailed error.";
"com.omnigroup.framework.OmniBase.ErrorDomain.File LineAndNumber" = "/Volumes/Disk/Users/Shared/kc/ReleaseProduct/Source/OmniGroup/Applications/Focus/App/XML/XMLImporter.m:99";
}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Exception reading XML: Unable to parse XML (status=10, index=1, line=1, error=Encountered unexpected character 0x0 ('') at top-level)
This indicates that one of the transaction files on your disk is corrupt, so OmniFocus can't rebuild its data cache from it. (In daily operation, OmniFocus doesn't have to read those transactions—so, unfortunately, it may have been corrupt for some time without the previous release realizing there was a problem.)

OmniFocus makes automatic daily backups of all your data, so you should be able to recover your data from the latest one: choose "Revert to Database Backup" from the file menu, then navigate to "OmniFocus Backups" in your Documents folder and choose your latest backup from it.

(And I think I'll now file a feature request that OmniFocus make a backup of your data whenever it updates itself, to guarantee that you have a completely current backup.)