The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please support standard iTunes sync! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For several years, with great success, I am now using OmniFocus for my job, handling 500+ to do items nicely outlined in projects and contexts -- it's a fantastic tool. Thanks to you for making it!

Now also equipped with an iPhone, I really miss a simple sync between Mac and iPhone. My expectation was the default iTunes sync would handle this: Sync your iPhone and you're done.

I've set up a WebDAV on my Mac, but that doesn't cut it, because the Mac is behind a security appliance (Firewall), while the AirPort Express is outside of it. As it's a Mac Pro, it also doesn't have an Airport card installed (Our security policies also don't allow any computer in the office to have WiFi anyway).

Isn't there any possibility, at least theoretically, to integrate the sync with the iTunes default sync mechanism? I mean, as it works for iCal, it should also be doable for OmniFocus?

I would guess that 80% of the OmniFocus users might want to sync with their iPhone this way, if they do not need a many-to-many sync or mobile sync that requires a server.

Any chance?

Andre

Hey Andre. There actually isn't a way to do this*— it would violate some sort of Apple guideline. (Here's an interesting post about a developer who tried to use it: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/02/apple...-book-sharing/)

Thanks. I was afraid it's one of these ultra limiting Apple restrictions again. Fortunately it's just an ultra limiting Apple restriction only ;-)

I'm pretty sure it's because Apple is legally bound by contracts with the music and movie industry to prevent against protected content from being transferred to a Mac and vice versa. They also don't want to undermine their monopoly in this regard.

I still don't understand why this is such a generic "no USB" limitation. The rule could have been worded more specific to only cover their DRM concerns.

Frustrating.

Does your Mac Pro at work have internet access? Couldn't you set up an account with Omni's Sync Server (beta) for automatic syncing?