The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO vs. Office? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i have a licensed copy of word08 that i never use--it was part of a bundle. if had to choose between word08 and oop3 i would flush word and keep omni. my main word processor is nisuswriter pro.
i was attracted to the idea of word when recently some concept mapping and mind mapping software claimed to integrate with office08 and open office. what i later discovered is that this integration is limited to their pc platform versions.
i want software that's built for the mac, not some dodgy jar file with a 3rd world interface. so i'd rather use oop3 than some of that mindmapping stuff.
one of my big probs is getting software that reads rtf files on an ipod touch or iphone, stuff that reads office is out there but who wants it?

I can understand that - I'm not a great fan of Office myself. However, I often need to produce documents that will be opened by people using Office on the PC (and I've yet to find anything that can produce documents that open with full fidelity - especially if they include graphics).

However, it would also be nice to see OO able to produce an outline that would be recognised by Pages 09 - given its outlining capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlypaws View Post
I can understand that - I'm not a great fan of Office myself. However, I often need to produce documents that will be opened by people using Office on the PC (and I've yet to find anything that can produce documents that open with full fidelity - especially if they include graphics).

However, it would also be nice to see OO able to produce an outline that would be recognised by Pages 09 - given its outlining capabilities.
You can bet your bottom dollar that the Pages 09 outlining frameworks are proprietary and that Apple won't release them to other developers.

Sorry to hear that Pages 09 won't be able to read OmniOutliner. That means I probably won't buy it. I agree with what's generally been said here about the difficulty of getting OO outlines into a word processor. It's more trouble than it should be for those of us who like to write in OO but need to share the product with others who use Word.

It's been a while since I've looked very closely at this. Could you please let me know what specific problems you have moving from OO to Word so I can make sure we have them all filed?

Somethings to know about the design of the export is that row text will be turned into heading levels in Word and row notes will become regular body text. The heading styles in Word should match the row level styles in OO although not all style options will carry over. Local styles in general should be preserved, like bold/italic/font color.

As far as columns in Word, they aren't real columns, it simply flows one column of text into the next column you set up in that section. So if the problem is that the Word export only supports one column, had you not used OO and started in Word, would you still have created the columns you did? And if so, would you have used Word's column feature, or create it using tabs?

Or maybe more important to know, what kind of documents are you wanting to take to Word, and for what purpose? Is it to share them with non-OO or Windows users? Is it to do more complex formatting that you need a real word processor for?