The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous small requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After working with the app a bit more, here are some other things:

- Have the color for group bars be in a different color (darker tint perhaps), make them easier to distinguish. MS Project does groups in black, tasks in blue, which is rather strident, but it helps. I'd like to be able to set these on a universal as well as individual level, just as I can change different level colors in OmniOutliner. There doesn't appear to be a way to do this in Plan right now.

- Make the left pane less aggressive at snapping shut. I may want only one column (eg Status) to show up, right now it slams closed before that point

- Column headings for such things as Notes, Violations, Status etc would be useful on the left pane, otherwise difficult to know what you've got there. Some indication of the number and width of columns, either with dividing lines or alternate column shades would help also.

- Show dates in Month-level view, along with Month name (related to my request for month names in the quarter view). IMHO there really needs to be two levels of detail here, perhaps one on top of the other or some other clever way you can figure out that doesn't eat precious vertical pixels :)

- A quick top-level method of showing/hiding the names of tasks on the taskbars themselves would be nice. I like having those there a lot as they avoid ping-ponging back and forth from left to right panes, but sometimes they get in the way. I'm thinking along the lines of "show/hide invisibles" in word processors.

(I've made several comments about aesthetics here, so let me just say this: I really like the minimalist visual approach you're taking with the app, as most of the planning apps are god awful looking and are just plain unpleasant to sit in front of. Don't change that. But a bit of extra detail, applied with the Edward Tufte-an philosophy of "the smallest difference that shows a difference" would help out in certain areas.)

Adam

1. You can customize the color for group bars. Open the Project: Styles inspector. Select "Task Groups". Open the Appearance: Gantt Bar inspector. Change the Bar Color to black, a darker blue, whatever you fancy.

2. Fixing that right now causes other quirks. We'll see if we can come up with a way to solve both problems.

3. We added icons at the top of status and violation for beta 5 -- which beta are you running?

4. Yes, dates in the month view is the same concept as months in the quarter view.

5. cmd-J; uncheck "Title" on the right side of the pane, under "Gantt Chart"

1. OK, got it. I was trying through the Style Attributes panel, obviously that's a on-off thing
3. Beta 4, downloaded about 4 days ago I think
5. I know, I'm just being lazy and want a shiny button on the front :)

The reason for harping on easily switching on/off the names of tasks in the Gantt pane is that I find it useful to have as much information density as possible there, per user preference. This allows running full-width, without having to keep the left pane visible all the time. Kind of like running Photoshop without panels visible - it keeps you focused on the task and gives as much screen real estate to it as possible. People running projects tend to have a lot of distractions (IM, email, phone, other files open demanding attention) so anything you can do to strip that away and give an undisturbed look at their project is valuable.

Adam