The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing hand-drawn 2D floorplans into OmniG? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I have a collection of floor plans I've done by hand (pen & ink on plain & graph paper) that I'd like to import into OmniGraffle in a workable format, i.e. not as a monolithic image file.

Ideally I'd like OmniG to recognize each line as an element, that is, convert the entire drawing to OmniG symbols that can be dragged, resized, have their attributes changed, etc. Basically like OCR but for simple line drawings rather than alphabet characters.

Is this possible in OmniG, or can anyone recommend a multi-step process, perhaps using 3rd-party apps like Photoshop that would achieve this?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a purpose-built Mac OS X software package that converts line drawings to some kind of CAD-ish format?

Thank you!

Hi,

I can't remember of a OCR for CAD, might exist...

As you don't seem to want to redraw your work there is not much I could say about saving you time. What you could look at though, when there's no CAD-OCR, is at a combo of Illustrator and Cad-tools (Hotdoor inc) or Sketchup (owned by google). Both Macosx and they both work.

If it's your job you might consider ArchiCad, Vectorworks Architect, and even Concepts (Unlimited) 3D.

My way forward would be, if your drawings are on scale and/or dimensioned, Illustrator or Sketchup and redraw.

All I could contribute.
Jeroen

Depending on the level of editing--I would scan the drawings--add them as an object in OG in a back layer, in a forward layer use white-background, no-stroke objects to "erase" and unconnected lines or boxes to draw.