The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inherited due dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thought I'd repropose an idea for OF that I first mentioned on this forum more than two years ago.

I would find it very helpful if items inherited due dates. In the same way that flagging a project will create a faded flag in its children tasks, I think any item that has a parent with a due date, or that appears in a sequence with a subsequent item that has a due date, should inherit that due date shown as faded in the due column.

Code:
sequential project: do taxes           |  due 5/1
> nonsequential group: gather tax info |  due 4/1 (explicitly entered)
  - get forms from bank                |  due 4/1 (implicit from due date of group)
  - get info from employer             |  due 4/1 (implicit from due date of group)
- fill out forms                       |  due 4/15 (implicit from due date below)
- write check for taxes                |  due 4/15 (implicit from due date below)
- mail in taxes                        |  due 4/15 (explicitly entered)
- file away tax info                   |  due 5/1 (implicit from project due date)

Last edited by Craig; 2010-03-15 at 09:53 AM..

This is partially the way the application functions - child rows look at their ancestors and use the earliest due date they can find. Making the interface communicate that more clearly is one of the things on our to-do list...

The "inherit from a peer in a sequence" item isn't something we have in place; email the support ninjas and we can open a new request for you. Thanks!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-03-15 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: punctuation failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This is actually the way the application functions - child rows look at their ancestors and use the earliest due date they can find. Making the interface communicate that more clearly is one of the things on our to-do list...
Yes, I knew under the hood some of this was happening (coloring due-soons based on parent due dates, for example). And I'm glad to hear that the interface may become clearer on that. I'd just repeat that the "faded flags" seem to me to offer a good analogy for what it could look like.

But am I right that items do NOT presently look at due dates of items further in their sequence to determine an implicit due date?

EDIT: cross-posted edit; I'll submit the feedback.