The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new product idea Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dear Omni team,

Would you consider making a decent money management software? It would be like Quicken except it wouldn't suck, and you wouldn't charge ridiculously high yearly upgrade for virtually no changes made to the software other than adding more bugs.

Regards,

Dear Omni team,

Would you consider making a mind mapping app like FreeMind. FreeMind sucks because it's in Java (thus slow), and the OS X version is so ugly.

Regards,

EDIT: I forgot! OmniGraffle can do mindmapping. Well, still, more improvements needed on the mindmapping side.

Last edited by iwa87; 2006-08-14 at 04:18 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwa87
Dear Omni team,

Would you consider making a mind mapping app like FreeMind. FreeMind sucks because it's in Java (thus slow), and the OS X version is so ugly.

Regards,

EDIT: I forgot! OmniGraffle can do mindmapping. Well, still, more improvements needed on the mindmapping side.
Have you tried using the outline view in graffle and having the layout update automatically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas
Have you tried using the outline view in graffle and having the layout update automatically?
Not quite the same, I don't believe. If you can get a Mind Map/ Mind Manager app that integrates with OmniPlan that functions as well as MindJet MindManager and ties in with local and LDAP address books, and enterprise communication products (Exchange, Communigate Pro, etc) then you're on a winner!!!

Oh, and a personal finance app that works well here in the UK would be great too!!!

Cheers and I look forward to seeing Omni take over the world (well, at least giveing us the tools to do so ;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by khb
Dear Omni team,

Would you consider making a decent money management software? It would be like Quicken except it wouldn't suck, and you wouldn't charge ridiculously high yearly upgrade for virtually no changes made to the software other than adding more bugs.

Regards,
Well, if you are not too squeamish, you can get fink (http://fink.sf.net) and compile and install gnucash, which is free. Alternately, you can try jgnash (http://jgnash.sf.net) which is a universal java binary, and works quite well. Also free.

That said, I agree. Quicken is garbage. The DOS version was heavenly. All GUI based version have been pretty damn awful. All incarnations since 2000 have been simply unusable.

So, yes, I would second OG's attempt at personal finance, even though I would probably not use it. I'm quite happy with Gnucash. :)

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by khb
Dear Omni team,

Regards,
Let me add my voice to the growing number of Mac users who can't find a decent personal finance application. If you look for one that handles currencies other than USD then you'll notice a massive void.

The best app of this class on the Mac I have found is MoneyDance, but it's written in Java (yuck!), is very buggy when it comes to the handling of investments, and is extremely lame where reports and graphs are concerned.

A decent app in this category that didn't suck would clean up.

I tried them all when I migrated to the Mac a few months ago, and my favourite (not even by a bit, but by leaps and bounds) is iBank. I didn't do a lot with multiple currencies, but when I had an account with a GBP balance, it handled it (along with my USD accounts) with no problem. Most importantly, the developer is receptive to user feedback and responsive to inquiries. I got an e-mail in response to a crash report I'd submitted while they were at MacWorld, which I found pretty impressive. Anyway, this thread's quite old now, but if anyone is still looking for a proper personal finance app, iBank's got potential and is worth a look.

(I've no vested interest in its success, I'm just a happy user.)